We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
First Time Buyer: Proprty Questions
Jonny0000
Posts: 115 Forumite
In the process of a first time purchase and have our third viewing where we have been asked to ask lots of questions about the property.
Wondering what questions people have asked, wished they had asked, have been advised to ask and so on.
Topics I have are things like:
Boundry disputes, types and maintenance of boiler, type and maintenance central heating, conservatory build date, electrics maintenance
Wondering what questions people have asked, wished they had asked, have been advised to ask and so on.
Topics I have are things like:
Boundry disputes, types and maintenance of boiler, type and maintenance central heating, conservatory build date, electrics maintenance
0
Comments
-
Try and perhaps be discreet about it, but I would say find out if they are DIY enthusiasts!! If they are walk away, then maybe run to make sure that they don't catch you up!
I have just bought a place, and they plonker who lived here before has botched many things, which I would imagine a survey would have picked up, but following a long drawn out complaint procedure, where they have denied all responsibility due to the 'visual inspection clause' it spotted very little. Make sure you check everthing, check doors close properly, make sure that they have not fiddled with electrics or plumbing.
If the fuse board is not a modern MCB set-up expect easily £400+ as this usually involves many other jobs it could be more.
Look at the garden and any trees around, they should not be too close.
Finally (these are just things that have come to mind now, I may return later if I think on) look at security arrangements for the property. Don't just take the sellers word for it, have a look at it yourself, think are there any vulnerabilities? On my property, I was advised that it was a really secure door. After moving in we realised that it was perhaps not that secure, as there is no way of deadlocking the door from the outside, and a very breakable window just next to the door handle. This could be a significant expense, I haven't dared to price it up yet though.
I suppose I would say, on this next viewing, make it a long one, have a look at everything, check floorboards, lift carpets if poss. Your survey will not be anything like as much use as you expect. And your solicitor will wash his hands of you and say 'caveat emptor' (I hate solicitors also, parasites).
I am pleased I bought, only go ahead though if you can afford it comfortably, and even if the place looks perfect, ensure you have atleast a couple of grand set aside for rectification works. If will just save you a bit of hassel.
Hope this helps.0 -
A lot of the questions you have listed should be asked by any good solicitor once the purchase is under way. But of course if any of these things could be a deal breaker, it's very wise to ask them at the time of viewing if you think you want to offer on the house.
My list of important items is how old roof is, how old boiler, is it a combi and is it regularly serviced.? Who are immediate neighbours. Has house been rewired, if so when. How old is double glazing. What band council tax. Water meter or water rates. If a shower is important to you, check whether it has a water good flow or just trickles out.
Good luck!The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.
I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards