We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Surely Discrimination?
Gadge0275
Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi this is my first post. I have 11 flats in Bristol which I have a commercial loan. They were a new build and in a block. I am now looking to add to my portfolio by buying more property when I can afford the deposits. I am now at the stage to buy another flat but find that buy to let mortgages are very expensive. My question is why are we treated differently than others that borrow money? I can understand that investors in the past may of been too greedy and purchased property beyond their means but why should the rest of us be punished. Even the set up fees for a simple 75K BTL are around £2K-£3K and normally fixed for 2 years. This seems to me to be discrimination. At least we supply housing for those that can't afford a mortgage so we should in all fairness have the same mortgage rights!
0
Comments
-
This seems to me to be discrimination.
You havent indicated any form of discrimination.
I can see three potential areas. 1) new build 2) flats 3) buy to let. However, all three carry risks which need to be considered by a lender. That is not discrimination. They price their product to cover the risks and to be profitable. Much the same as you do when you set your rents.At least we supply housing for those that can't afford a mortgage
You are a landlord that makes money off other people. Don't make out that you are doing some public service. Buy to lets are part of the reason people cannot afford a mortgage.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Agree with the above wholehearedly. You have a choice pay the arrangement fee or funnily enough...not. Buy to let mortgages are also unregulated basically the same as your commercial borrowing, which wouldnt have come cheap. Also your commercial borrowing can be called in at short notice at any time. Beware.I am a Mortgage Advisor. You should note that this site does not check my status as a Mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as i follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldnt be seen as financial advice.0
-
Yes it's discrimination. Discrimination against morons.The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.0
-
Ultimately, someone buying a house to live in, so its residential use. Your buying to make money - thats commercial use. How is it descrimination to treat commercial customers differently from residential? Treating two residential customers differently OT two commercial customers differently might be - BUT you are not the same as an owner/occupier.
Tax rates differ for buisiness and private income - so do insurance rates, utility charges and I guess many more things. Are they discriminatory as well?0 -
If there were much less BTL, house prices would be more affordable and mortgages for buyers would be more readily available and people would not need to rent off people like you with 11 flats.At least we supply housing for those that can't afford a mortgage so we should in all fairness have the same mortgage rights!
In all fairness, you are creating the ecosystem in which people have to rent, because you have bought the stuff they would buy.Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam0 -
I think there are some harsh comments there just because people are a bit bitter towards land lords, I’m a land lord and although I’m in it for the money obviously if it didn’t make a profit I would not do it but then dose that make a shop keeper evil? my rents are set below what others charge and the standard of my housing is high, I do not believe for one minute that landlords are pricing new buyers out the market for the simple reason they can pay more for a house than I can, my price is set by mathematics, I need to make a certain amount from the rent I charge, I’ve been out bid regularly by new buyers as once they go above my maximum it’s not worth me buying as I won’t make enough to make it worthwhile.
I work 70 hours a week in my own job to pay for these houses (every week) so I’m working hard and I do believe although I’m in it for the money. I’m also helping family’s out, in the 5 years I’ve been doing it having 8 houses I’ve never had a tenant leave because I look after them. and don’t rape them for every penny they have, we both get a fair living.
I do agree the arrangement charges are extortionate however but like people say you can choose to pay them or simply not.0 -
I'm a landlord too, also in it for the money, but I thoroughly agree that BTL propositions are higher risk, more commercial and as such should certainly be priced higher to account for that risk.
Also, if you are working to support your BTLs then you are doing it wrong. Do you understand the concept of rent?The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.0 -
I think there are some harsh comments there just because people are a bit bitter towards land lords
No. It was the way the OP made out they were offering a public service.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
... At least we supply housing for those that can't afford a mortgage so we should in all fairness have the same mortgage rights!
(Scratches head)
People have mortgage rights? That's a new one. At least it's a right that seems to have slipped the minds of the worthies who complied the European Convention on Human Rights.0 -
Of course banks discriminate and rightfully so. That's the whole point of a mortgage application, to give them the information so that they can discriminate between different borrowers, choose who they want to lend to and at what rate.
What are you suggesting? That banks should give any amount of money to anyone who walks through the door, one rate for all, no questions asked? And if they don't, it's discrimination and against the borrowers basic human rights? Rubbish.
BTL can be risky. Why should boring old homeowners subsidise your house of cards?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards