We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

childcare costs in mortgage application

When I spoke to my mortgage provider about how much we could borrow for a house move one of the things they wanted was childcare costs. Now I just said what the fees are of £600/month. But this isnt what is actually costs us as we get childcare vouchers which are paid for from gross salary before tax and NI so the actual cost to us is much less, probably about £450. This difference makes a big impact on the providers affordability calculations!

Would I be within my rights to put down the lower figure for the application? The advisor seemed to be saying I had to put down the full amount (I didn't have the actual cost figures at hand) but as that isn't that cost to me that doesn't seem right.

Comments

  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    The amount to quote is the full net cost to you. The advisor is correctly saying full cost in that you should not conceal any of it, but would be wrong to suggest that you enter the gross cost. IMO.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,079
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Have your advisor speak to an underwriter first. If you check before an application goes in, they may be prepared to look at it and offer the higher amount or somewhere in between.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dave76
    dave76 Posts: 252 Forumite
    cheers, next time I shall go with both numbers prepared - dont want to be accused of hiding anything :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.