We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Ex-pat Mortgage (again!)
rOAdeh
Posts: 8 Forumite
Hi guys,
Been reading a number of threads here around this subject, but everyone seems to have their own definite circumstances and so a lot of the advice seems to vary depending on the OP's requirements. My situation is as follows;
I've lived in Oz for 8 months; currently my visa expires in Oct 2015 (and for all intents and purposes I will have to return to the UK at that point - although I have no idea if I actually will).
I've around £90k that I'm wanting to invest into a property that I can rent out. I am only looking at UK property, as I have no idea if I'll be able to attain residency here, and don't want a property in a country that I can't live in!
I'm very early in the planning stage, but I imagine my deposit would be somewhere between 33-50% of the house value. I have a family friend who runs an agency that will give me a good rate on a complete managed agency service, so that the house should be entirely self-sustaining (although I can cover additional costs if this is not the case). However, it is my first mortgage and so it all seems fairly intimidating!
To keep above board, it looks like I'll have to get a BTL mortgage? Specifically one targeted to ex-pats? Is there a way to do this through a guarantor in the UK to avoid the increased premium that these bring?
Are there any specific lenders that I should consider - Googling does not return many familiar brand names? Do most traditional lenders not provide this service at all?
Thanks for any help,
Ben
Been reading a number of threads here around this subject, but everyone seems to have their own definite circumstances and so a lot of the advice seems to vary depending on the OP's requirements. My situation is as follows;
I've lived in Oz for 8 months; currently my visa expires in Oct 2015 (and for all intents and purposes I will have to return to the UK at that point - although I have no idea if I actually will).
I've around £90k that I'm wanting to invest into a property that I can rent out. I am only looking at UK property, as I have no idea if I'll be able to attain residency here, and don't want a property in a country that I can't live in!
I'm very early in the planning stage, but I imagine my deposit would be somewhere between 33-50% of the house value. I have a family friend who runs an agency that will give me a good rate on a complete managed agency service, so that the house should be entirely self-sustaining (although I can cover additional costs if this is not the case). However, it is my first mortgage and so it all seems fairly intimidating!
To keep above board, it looks like I'll have to get a BTL mortgage? Specifically one targeted to ex-pats? Is there a way to do this through a guarantor in the UK to avoid the increased premium that these bring?
Are there any specific lenders that I should consider - Googling does not return many familiar brand names? Do most traditional lenders not provide this service at all?
Thanks for any help,
Ben
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards