We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Interest only mortgage help please

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any advice/know of where etc that I might be able to start (what was once called an endowment policy) to pay off my interest only mortgage in about 18 years?

I do no want an insurance policy - more of a savings plan?

I am in the process of trying to remortgage and go back to a repayment mortgage but I want to look at all options financially?

If anyone has been in a similar position or knows of a reliable company to talk to, I would be really grateful to know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2012 at 5:34PM
    Go for a repayment mortgage. Any other investment option carries a degree of risk and therefore subject to the whims of the market. So only take this route if you can afford to gamble.
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Add in to that, it will be unlikely any new lender will allow this as a form of repayment vehicle and therefore when you come to the end of your latest mortgage deal your options will be limited.

    You cannot beat going onto a repayment, hence why all the endowment mis-sale issues over years gone by..
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

    Does anyone out there have any advice/know of where etc that I might be able to start (what was once called an endowment policy) to pay off my interest only mortgage in about 18 years?

    I do no want an insurance policy - more of a savings plan?

    I am in the process of trying to remortgage and go back to a repayment mortgage but I want to look at all options financially?

    If anyone has been in a similar position or knows of a reliable company to talk to, I would be really grateful to know.

    Thanks in advance.
    An endowment policy has a life insurance element in it.

    You could keep your interest only mortgage and save into ISA's or other similar savings options and in 18 years just cash them in and make a lump sum payment to your mortgage. However, finding ISA's that pay a higher interest rate than what you are charged on your mortgage is a challenge.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    whats your cuurent mortgage deal, rate, term etc.


    it might be worth keeping
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.