Please advise

Options
Hi all,

I did a search on the Insolvency website (I had some time to spare at work!) and found out that my uncle was on there. It said on the screen that he went bankrupt in 2000 and that he is still non-discharged indefinately due to some clause that said he didnt cooperate or something.

Anyway I mentioned this to my dad as my Grandad is due to put his house in my mums and my uncles name. I explained I was worried cos obviously the OR could put a claim on my Grandads house.

My mum mentioned to my Grandad about Uncle being bankrupt and my Grandad said he knew he was bankrupt but thought he was discharged. Apparently he has gone bankrupt a few times (at least 3 that we know of).

Yesterday my dad phoned up the Insolvency Office and asked about it and on their records he is still down as a non discharged bankrupt. My aunty and uncle insisted it was a misunderstanding and it was my aunty who was late paying 60k!!!!! to the inland revenue.

What I cant understand is that when I went bankrupt - I had to do a SOA and only have the bare minimum of everything. They have gone bankrupt (both aunty and uncle) and yet they have a massive house, a jag, bmw convertable and have at least 20K in the bank!!!!!!

Also what puzzles me is that on the bankruptcy file there is no date of birth given which my dad questioned cos my grandad, uncle, cousin, and his boy all have the same name. I'm worried that he has done it in my grandads name.

How can they get away with having all these luxuries and money without the Insolvency knowing about it? Can anyone help?
😁

Comments

• shameless-about-money
    Options
    It sounds very fishy to me!

I cannot see how someone could go bankrupt in another family member's name, albeit with the same name - due to checks on DOB, NI number, tax records etc.

I know someone whom went bankrupt in 2003 that is still showing on the website for the same reasons - being non-co-operative - he is still taking out vast amounts of credit and the OR will not allow the discharge.

You could phone the insolvency service and find out the DOB of the person registered as being bankrupt. Then you might find the truth. However, you do realise that if you are correct in your assumptions that you might be opening a huge can of worms?
  • bluezone
    bluezone Posts: 772 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds very fishy to me!

I cannot see how someone could go bankrupt in another family member's name, albeit with the same name - due to checks on DOB, NI number, tax records etc.

I know someone whom went bankrupt in 2003 that is still showing on the website for the same reasons - being non-co-operative - he is still taking out vast amounts of credit and the OR will not allow the discharge.

You could phone the insolvency service and find out the DOB of the person registered as being bankrupt. Then you might find the truth. However, you do realise that if you are correct in your assumptions that you might be opening a huge can of worms?

Cheers for your reply. I know it sounds highly unlikely that he has done it under one of the other relatives but they all seem to be quite cagey about this sort of thing. He went bankrupt in 1984 after he was trying to register his company under my parents address! The website said it was updated in 2002 and indefinate discharge was still the case and when my dad phoned up yesterday march 2007 its still what it says onthe system. The insolvency people are now going to track down the original court file and check there.

I understand that I may have already opened that can of worms as the air is blue at my uncles house!

It just seems wrong how someone who has always been seen to have loads of money (they chucked a dining table out after 6 months cos it had a 1cm mark on it!!!!!) and the cars to go with it can get away with things like this. My family have worked bloody hard for their stuff and we dont have any left over and we are always looked down at as being the poor relatives.

Could you imagine if I went out and got a mortgage to buy a massive house and a jag whilst still being bankrupt - the insolvency would come down on me like a ton of bricks!

Sorry about me ranting on, it just amazes me how much some people can get away with
    😁
  • shameless-about-money
    Options
    I understand!

Since the family already know you may aswell go the whole hog and find out exactly what is going on - you have nothing to lose.

On another point entirely I knew someone whom got caught in tax evasion by the Inland Revenue. He had diddled them out of £27K and the fine was £27K = £54K. At the time he was 58.
    In the two years following he bought a new Merc, a huge four wheel drive, went on three Cunard cruises, had an extension on the house and generally spent money as if it were going out of fashion. Within four years he had bought a £200K house in Spain too. Now I do know that he is repaying the £54K month by month. He is still also on the fiddle with the tax too. He has a car body repair shop etc and if you go in and ask for a quote the reply is always "if it is paid in cash we can take off the VAT and tax"!!!

I don't know how some folk sleep at night, really I don't!!
  • bluezone
    Options
    I have just let my dad know to go ahead and find out more.

Will let you know what I find out......

Cheers
    😁
  • bluezone
    Options
    it sounds like your friend knows my uncle!
    😁
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport