How do I track a recorded delivery letter?

Options
2»

Comments

• cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2012 at 10:02AM
    Options
    I have just been down to the depot to collect a recorded delivery that was attempted to be delivered to me on Saturday. It is a return from the same Edinburgh office thanking me for my post and two of the documents returned!

So between Wednesday and Saturday my registered post managed to travel from the South of England to Scotland (second class) then a letter was written and returned with the documents (presumably 1st or business). I suppose this is good going; however, there was no recorded delivery on their side. What the hell's going on, and what have I paid for?

Just relieved it didn't get lost, so much for the piece of mind!
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Recorded Delivery travels with ordinary mail items. Sometimes if they are going to a business which receives large amounts of mail they can inadvertently be delivered in bags containing other mail without a signature being obtained on delivery.

As the signature hasn't been taken, if you contact Royal Mail you will be able to get a refund of the extra fee you paid for Recorded Delivery.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    Rather confusing though when they say delivered from our xxxx delivery office, surely it should say delivered to the addressee? I have an electronic signature so presumably this is the case.

Incidentally I only paid second class recorded delivery for this (using my pre bought stamps) handed in to a branch post office the previous morning around 10am. So it took only about 23 hours to be delivered in total.

how would it say delivered to an address?
    RMs system doesnt tally addresses with tracking numbers
    so it was delvered for X delivery office
  • Lewis_Davies
    Options
    Which country the packaged shipped? if from china or other Asia,it's very slower .maybe will take more than 20 days.the link is correct.i think the package can't arrive UK now.you can contact the seller.let service track for you.patience is needed.
    I have ordered some leds from powerledworld,it's very slower.i have waitted nearly 5 weeks.the seller always said.it's dealy,it's still on the way,i lost my patience and open a dispute in paypal,the seller refund my money,but we received the leds in the end.
  • cepheus
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    how would it say delivered to an address?
    RMs system doesnt tally addresses with tracking numbers
    so it was delvered for X delivery office

The first question is why not?

If for some reason it isn't possible, it needs to be made clear the item was delivered to someone and not just sent delivered from an office. Otherwise the postee is still waiting of a final message saying it has been actually delivered to whatever address was on the letter! Surely this is obvious.
  • custardy
    Options
    The first question is why not?

If for some reason it isn't possible, it needs to be made clear the item was delivered to someone and not just sent delivered from an office. Otherwise the postee is still waiting of a final message saying it has been actually delivered to whatever address was on the letter! Surely this is obvious.

why would it?
    its an legacy product set up and developed long before integrated address systems
    RMs tracked product encompasses such data.
    the existing products don't and given the hardware/IT RM use,is unlikely to ever do.
    of course what would I know,since its obvious.....
    Delivered is delivered. as per the USO
  • bazzyb
    Options

Personally I would say the key word is delivered - to me, this clearly means that it has reached the end recipient. The delivered to or delivered from is neither here nor there - whether they say it was delivered from ABC office or delivered to Mr XYZ it means the same thing, just different ways of saying it.
  • cepheus
    edited 21 May 2012 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Letters can be delivered from a post office, sorting office or postie and be delivered to any of the others in the same list, as far as I know. Surely this 'pass the parcel game' is of secondary importance?

All I need to know if it has delivered to the destination. Surely any reasonable person would expect this from recorded delivery? Or perhaps the word 'delivered' means something different to me than everyone else?

Anyway they have apologised for not recording it, and are going to reimburse me in stamps.
  • custardy
    Options
    Letters can be delivered from a post office, sorting office or postie as far to any of the others in the same list, as far as I know. Surely this is of secondary importance.

All I need to know if it has arrived at the destination. Surely any reasonable person would surely expect this? Perhaps it is me who is crazy and my logic and lexicon has deserted me?

I am most certainly mad anyway!

nope.
    you can collect a letter or it can be delivered from a delivery office
    no such thing as a sorting office
    If you mean a mail centre ,then no.
  • bazzyb
    Options
    Letters can be delivered from a post office, sorting office or postie and be delivered to any of the others in the same list, as far as I know. Surely this 'pass the parcel game' is of secondary importance?

They will pass through various stages whilst in transit but I wouldn't have thought that anybody would call each of those points a 'delivery'. Delivery in my mind would be the final stage.

In fact, just checked dictionary definition in case it's my own odd understanding and that seems to agree:
    delivered
    past participle, past tense of de·liv·er (Verb)
    Verb:
    Bring and hand over (a letter, parcel, or ordered goods) to the proper recipient or address.

Therefore 'delivered' means it has reached the end recipient or address, regardless of the word 'from' or 'to'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure