I Really need Help, Greatfull for any I can receive

Options
Ok so here is the story,

My girlfriend is 5 months pregnant and she has been working as a contractor for a company for the last 18 months. The last contract she was given was for 12 months and this ran out on April the 11th. She is still working there now, and has various email's from Hr promising her a new contract and telling her it is taking a little longer to get done for various reasons.. ect ect

Now she has really put the work in here, she has won various employee awards, has emails from recently asking her to go forward for team leader positions, and is a highly thought of member of the team. We have emails backing up these claims and the promise of a new contract.

Now today she was pulled aside out of the blue by a friend saying she has a letter of termination set to take effect from the 4th of May, and I believe this is down to the fact that she is pregnant.

A new person started a couple of months ago, and has already been given a new contract, when she asked why he has his, they told her that it was easier to sort out for a new employee.

All sounds very fishy and I know she is going to be given the chop, but this is causing her extreme stress and its not good for our baby. I am no stranger to the fact that she isnt currently covered by a contract so is prob entitled to !!!!!! all, but surely the fact that she has worked her backside off for the past 18 months, has been promised a new contract, and we have this correspondance in an email, along with her being told over and over again that she is being kept on.

They have discussed her maternity leave with her, told her not to worry and now she finds out this.

Now I know there are alot of grey matters with this one, I have started collecting information to back up our argument, and I am not keeping a record of the dates we are finding out this second hand information.

What I am asking for is if there is anyone in the know with these sort of things can cast some light on the situation, as to what sort of information I need to gather, what I need to clarify?

Also would it be worth us phoning a solicitor because obviously if they are planning to let her go next friday we need to know where we stand,.

Little one is due in 3-4 months time, and this has just cast a shadow over everything.

Surely the fact that they have offerd this new chap a new contract and he works on exactly the same team, but looks after alot less, is a hell of alot more inexperienced, there are alot of grey points here....

Thank you as always, I have learned a hell of a lot from this site

Kind Regards

Mike

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesnt sound like she is a contractor but possibly a temp or on a fix term contract?

Does she have a contract of employment? If so who is it with?

How does the "friend" know about this alleged letter? In most cases if a contract expires but services & payments continue then the immediately prior T&Cs continue to be in effect as if a new contact was drawn on the same terms.
  • marybelle01
    marybelle01 Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am correct in saying that if a fixed term contract expires without being renewed and you continue to work, then you become a permanant employee. But I would suggest that you go to http://www.redundancyforum.co.uk/ where you could get that confirmed or not by a lawyer.
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    If youre worried about the financial side of things, it sounds like your partner will be will entitled to maternity allowance, if not SMP.
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • lucouk
    lucouk Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input, We have since heard back from her Director who is now claiming that this is all a mistake and HR have been mixed up printing the letter, No further help is needed as she is being given a permanent contract. I think they where trying everything in there power to get rid off her without it being obvious but the pregnancy thing just puts the fear of death into companies. As always I am greatful for the people on here who take time out of there lives to supply pother people with help, free of charge. Have a good Night all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure