Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

UK mortgage with Irish Credit History

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
4 replies 875 views
marathonicmarathonic Forumite
1.8K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
If I apply for a mortgage with the Bank of Irelands Northern Ireland branch, can they check my records with their own company, but the Republic of Ireland branch?

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    81.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the database will be accessible
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • marathonicmarathonic Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Thanks for that. I thought there might have been some data protection laws preventing them from doing so.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    81.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    marathonic wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I thought there might have been some data protection laws preventing them from doing so.

Data protection? The lender requires the protection.
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • marathonicmarathonic Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Data protection? The lender requires the protection.

I just assumed that Bank of Ireland (UK) and Bank of Ireland (Ireland) are regulated by two different authorities and, as such, are set up as two different companies.

Therefore, I thought it may be the case that the branches weren't legally allowed to share the information (although, if that were the case, I'm sure I'd be able to sign something to allow them to share the information).
This discussion has been closed.