PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feather Dusters

Does anyone use the old style ostrich feather duster? Is it any good?

I have used the static fluffy dusters on a stick and have been quite happy but after a while they resemble dreadlocks. Just wondering if I'd be better off with a proper feather duster.

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Maybe I haven't had very good quality ones, but I've found that actual feather dusters tend to moult feathers after a short time.

I've got a lambswool duster-onna-stick which is at least 10 years old (Mr LW already owned it when I moved in with him in May 2002), and it's still going strong.

When it gets too dirty, I hand-wash the lambswool end in warm soapy water and tie it to the washing line to dry in the sun.

HTH:o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have an ostrich feather duster that is still going strong after about 7 years. very much like this one :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adams-Bros-Ostrich-Feather-handle-GREAT/dp/B000OMO1N6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1335539892&sr=8-6
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks both, especially Liney for the link to the Adams one, reading the reviews it seems that quality matters here. I wanted a longer one as I have some light fittings fairly high up on my kitchen wall so I went for a telescopic one I found on Adams Bros own website and was delighted to find it was free delivery from there :T. They also sell lambswool ones which look lovely so that's something to bear in mind for the future.

So glad I asked on here, thanks again.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a feather duster which I use rather too infrequently. Perhaps that's the reason it's over 20 years old and isn't moulting yet. However they are extremely handy for reaching cobwebs and lampshades so I don't have to get the steps out from the cupboard under the stairs to reach them. I'd never get those damned things dusted otherwise.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    we do have a dusting thread which may be of use

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business