Freview TV Reception Issues

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
10 replies 1K views
RTNIRTNI Forumite
817 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
HI,

Has anyone else been having freeview TV reception issues? I am having issues with the channels on Mux C as listed here such as Dave, Sky News, Pick TV etc:

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750

Signal strength and quality are varying wildly here in BT23, but at my parents house a few miles down the road, they seem ok?!

Anyone else having issues with picture breakup on these channels?
Regards, Robin.
2011 MFW # 34
Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
, April 2031 (in progress!)

Replies

• RikMRikM Forumite
    763 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've seen issues. Some channels had the habit of disappearing altogether after about 11 in the evening, a month or so back. (BT38)

I saw a comment somewhere that they were fiddling signals in the run up to the switch-over.

I'm lucky enough to have a freesat box as well (use it for HD), so it doesn't have a great deal of impact on me.
  • yorkie98yorkie98 Forumite
    306 Posts
    You are not alone here, this is by far the weakest mux on Divis for most, not because it's on lower power but because most people are still operating off of Group A aerials. As this mux is on CH48 which is an out of band channel for a Group A aerial, the reception of this mux is inferior to most than the rest.
    Those with wideband aerials will mostly get a relatively equal reception as all other muxes.
    I personally do notice this channel breaking up much more at night than during the day (BT62 3XX) and my wifes Granny (who is addicted to the Challenge channel) gets intermittent reception of this mux also.

I will give the same advice as I give to Granny..

Changing the aerial now to a wideband will very likely fix the issue with this mux but without changing the aerial, it will fix itself on October 24th as on this date, the channels will move, will all be in band for a Group A aerial and the powers will be increased from approx 2-3KW to between 50 and 100KW. So if you can live with it for a few more months, it will resolve itself.
    If not, then the new aerial will still work after switchover, but so would the old one have.
    So the question is, is it worth spending money solving a problem that will solve itself in 6 months time? IMO, no.
  • RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I have only noticed problems starting in the last 2 weeks or so. What you say yorkie about the bands makes sense, all other muxes are ahsoing a good signal stength, but the other one is pretty carp to be honest.

I was just confused as to why all of a sudden I noticed degradation of signal as nothing has changed on my setup and the aerial looks ok on the chimeny (and was installed just over a year ago).

I think I will follow Granny's advice! :)
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    306 Posts
    It's probably to do with trees now growing their leaves, this can really disrupt signals, especially marginal ones. It's a common problem, good reception in winter while trees are bare, bad reception in summer when trees are thriving. It doesen't need to be a tree close by, anywhere along your path to the transmitter can do it.
    At least after the switchover, these problems will disappear for everybody.
  • Yes, problems with mine in BT13. Not good when you are trying to watch a tense penalty shoot-out
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE :D:D
  • RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    Good point yorkie, I had forgotten about that. Where we live we are positioned in the shadow of a large hill so everyone around us has massive aerials with huge number of elements or one of those tri-boom ones. Will use the sky box for any iffy channels until Divis boosts the power.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
  • edited 26 April 2012 at 12:10PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2012 at 12:10PM
    When the transmission power is boosted will indoor aerials work like they used to in BT23?
    306 Posts
    @Ballyblack, I'm not sure what you mean..
    How did indoor aerials used to work in your area?
    What do they not do now that they used to do in the past?

What I would certainly say is that indoor aerials should work a great deal better for Digital reception than they do currently but they will still suffer from signal blockage and changing reflections as vehicles/people/animals move around.
    A rooftop aerial will always perform exponentially better than an indoor aerial.
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    my loft aerial receives on Analogue although the signal is sometimes weak, with no digital signal at all!

I was just wondering that after October when digital signal is boosted would it would work then. Guess I will have to wait & see?

I agree an outside aerial is much superior
    306 Posts
    I would suggest (assuming that this is on a main transmitter, Divis in this case) that if analogue reception is currently weak and there is no digital then it might work for digital after switchover, the first indication will be on October 10th when BBC2 analogue closes and is replaced by the BBC mux at full power.
    In the meantime, check the aerial is optimally positioned/aligned for best analogue reception as it's relatively easy to do this by sight with an analogue picture, with digital, pretty much impossible. Also check that coax is connected properly. When I used to do TV aerials myself, you'd be amazed how many times the problem was a DIY aerial where the coax was not connected properly, usually the centre and the braid connected together at the plug end...:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals