Alex Attwood gives Northern Ireland tourism a kick in the teeth

edited 25 April 2012 at 4:59PM in N. Ireland
10 replies 1.2K views
marcowilmarcowil Forumite
687 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 25 April 2012 at 4:59PM in N. Ireland
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/belfast-nightclubs-new-2am-closing-time-is-right-move-alex-attwood-16149363.html

How can the Environment Minister possibly think that forcing everyone on a night out to go home at 2am will solve the problems and more importantly encourage european visitors who are used to staying in clubs until much later than even 2am, that Northern Ireland is a good place to visit?

He has played right into the hands of the religious nut jobs in the D.U.P. who want us all at home reading our bibles and praying to their God.

How about actually tackling the problem of businesses who serve alcohol after hours and dealing with the drunken louts who parade the streets looking for trouble. Most of them likely haven't set foot in a club/pub but got their alochol elsewhere.

Yet another example of why Northern Ireland cant be trusted to govern itself.

Replies

  • Knee-jerk reaction to the wee lad that threw himself off a bridge after drinking too much

    On that rationale, all motor vehicles should be banned cos someone got knocked down once

    Not entirely sure though that tourists come here for the nightlife - I thought it was all for George Best and Titanic and to look at Muriel's along the Shankill/Falls
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE :D:D
  • bribrianbribrian Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I agree it's a backward step & knee jerk reaction but OP this was an Alex Attwood/SDLP decision, not DUP. It could as easily be said 'He has played right into the hands of the religious nut jobs in the RC church who want us all at home reading our bibles and praying to their God.'
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • yorkie98yorkie98 Forumite
    306 Posts
    So, do the DUP and the RC Church have a different god now?? Have one of them recently converted to Muslim faith and now follow Allah?
    When I last checked, both were christian faiths and both follow the SAME god..
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    yorkie98 wrote: »
    So, do the DUP and the RC Church have a different god now?? Have one of them recently converted to Muslim faith and now follow Allah?
    When I last checked, both were christian faiths and both follow the SAME god..
    deffo a different god ,but one is never on a Sunday
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • irishjohnirishjohn Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I returned to NI in 2005 and in 2006 some friends from USA visited in late June when we have long daylight evenings. One day we set off from North Down on a leisurely trip up the Antrim Coast - stopping off at the hotspots, and arriving at the Giants Causeway just before 5pm - on a hot summer day with 5 more hours of daylight, the last bust down to the causeway was just leaving and the visitors centre and cafe were closing. The place was ripe for more business with a lot of people there and admiring the stones but with nowhere to spend their money - what a waste of an opportunity
    John
  • ArtofdookieArtofdookie Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Thats what happens when you let the free presbyterians have a say
    Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex, I Can See Through Your Skirt I've Got X-Ray Spex
  • marcowilmarcowil Forumite
    687 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    bribrian wrote: »
    I agree it's a backward step & knee jerk reaction but OP this was an Alex Attwood/SDLP decision, not DUP. It could as easily be said 'He has played right into the hands of the religious nut jobs in the RC church who want us all at home reading our bibles and praying to their God.'

    Bribrian, I was referring to the parts of the DUP who in particular have been shouting for years what they felt was wrong with NI and this usually revolved around alcohol and people enjoying themselves when they wanted to. I didnt say the DUP made the decision but there is no denying that parts of the party will be thrilled at his decision

    I have absolutely no time for any politician who brings religion into politics, or uses their political life to promote their religious views, and attempt to force them on others. The two should always remain separated.
  • RikMRikM Forumite
    763 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie98 wrote: »
    So, do the DUP and the RC Church have a different god now?? Have one of them recently converted to Muslim faith and now follow Allah?
    When I last checked, both were christian faiths and both follow the SAME god..

    um well... Actually, Allah is the same god... Just named by a different religion. Jews, Christians, Moslems; all one god. Must be why they fight so much...
    :-)

    Daft timing change however. Kneejerk "do anything" reaction, so they've got something to point to. Not a "Christian" thing though, more kind of a "stupid politician" thing.
  • A.L.D.AA.L.D.A Forumite
    522 Posts
    irishjohn wrote: »
    I returned to NI in 2005 and in 2006 some friends from USA visited in late June when we have long daylight evenings. One day we set off from North Down on a leisurely trip up the Antrim Coast - stopping off at the hotspots, and arriving at the Giants Causeway just before 5pm - on a hot summer day with 5 more hours of daylight, the last bust down to the causeway was just leaving and the visitors centre and cafe were closing. The place was ripe for more business with a lot of people there and admiring the stones but with nowhere to spend their money - what a waste of an opportunity


    Good point, and it is happening over and over. We need to get them here, be flexible, and encourage them to stay longer. Our economy needs their patronage.

    More facilities and investment needed. Mr Attwood should have a look at the Planning Fees and ask if they could now be a deterrent for small businesses. Very high cost and no assured outcome.

    With regards Alcohol, by far the greater problem is from sales for consumption off the premises.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • bribrianbribrian Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    marcowil wrote: »
    Bribrian, I was referring to the parts of the DUP who in particular have been shouting for years what they felt was wrong with NI and this usually revolved around alcohol and people enjoying themselves when they wanted to. I didnt say the DUP made the decision but there is no denying that parts of the party will be thrilled at his decision

    You could as easily have said that it will please allthe religious nut jobs across N.Ireland but instead, in my opinion, you took a cheap political shot at the DUP who had nothing to do with the decision....
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals