solar - which panel

I am currently getting quotes for a 4Kw system. Am confused whether to go Sharp moncrystalline (£6695) or polycrystalline - Hyundai (£7195), Suntech (£7100) or Ying-Li (£7250) Would prefer a branded panel but installers have told me Suntech are now no.1 in the world and Ying-Li are now world leaders in technology.

Installer has quoted for all other components to be the same, what would you go for ?

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    spinybif wrote: »
    I am currently getting quotes for a 4Kw system. Am confused whether to go Sharp moncrystalline (£6695) or polycrystalline - Hyundai (£7195), Suntech (£7100) or Ying-Li (£7250) Would prefer a branded panel but installers have told me Suntech are now no.1 in the world and Ying-Li are now world leaders in technology.

Installer has quoted for all other components to be the same, what would you go for ?

Don't get too concerned about specific panels. I tried last year and ended up buried under tech sheets and various specs.

All 4 of those are very popular brands. I've got Sharps, nearly had Ying-li's. Ying-Li's are extremely popular in California. I also did quite a bit of reading up on mono or poly, but again found lots of differing advice and no clear winner especially if mono's are slightly cheaper.

Keep checking / thinking till you're happy, but don't worry too much, those are all well known brands.

Nice prices by the way. There's been a lot of talk of prices heading down to £7k(ish) so good to see some 'solid' quotes. Best of luck.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • I had panels fitted to my house and they are Yingli by Renewable Solutions Team in Lancashire and they was cheaper than what you are being quoted. You should give them a call as they will travel and the service and installation was first class. call them on 08451163091.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We have Suntechs and have been getting excellent output so far with SMA 3000 inverter. Very hard to tell if the panels give any benefit greater than others though or if the weather has been better than expected - obviously with the exception of April!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Hi, I have Sanyo HIT-H250E01 panels and my father has SunPower E19 240 SPR-240NE-WHT-D Modules. Both have been giving good yields.
    2kW South, South East Solar Array
  • jamesingram
    jamesingram Posts: 301 Forumite
    take a look at REC , claim 1 year return on energy invested in manifacturering, and if least worst environmental production method is important. Norwegian company,
    Sharp, Romag are UK assembled so this may be of interest to some.
  • Whatever you choose pick one that is likely to still be around in x years should repair or replacement ever be required.

I speak from experience...
  • Sharp, Romag are UK assembled so this may be of interest to some.
    I chose Sharp, partly for this reason.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills