CCj and Mortgage with Ex :(

New Post Advanced Search

CCj and Mortgage with Ex :(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
5 replies 1.2K views
vicsenpvicsenp Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
I'll try and explain this the best I can, but needless to say i feel im at a dead end:
I have been on my mortgage for 4 years, with my ex. He left 6 months into the mortgage and I have paid it alone ever since. He also left me in debt resulting in numerous arrears and 1 ccj (sept 2011) I have tried to sell the house and auction in with no result.
Do I have anywhere to turn to get him off the mortgage or get out of it myself? (He wants nothing to do with the house)
My current debt is around 6k for ccj and 3.5k for a debt that I am paying off with a company that bought my catalogue debt (that he ran up).
I am actually considering repossession or bankruptsy as the ccj will be over my head for another 7 years anyway.
Any help or advice will be great thanks

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    81.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggest you contact either the national debt line or the CAB for advice.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

As you need to make the right decision for your own specific circumstances.
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • vicsenpvicsenp Forumite
    2 posts
    That was my next port of call... I guess I just wondered if there are any mortgage companies that would give me a mortgage on my own with a recent ccj....
  • Dave_HamDave_Ham Forumite
    6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry not with it being that recent and for that value, no mortgage until at the very least one year old..
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • edited 18 April 2012 at 10:49AM
    Dee_CeeDee_Cee Forumite
    10 posts
    edited 18 April 2012 at 10:49AM
    I am aslo trying to get a mortgage with ccj's. We have to remortgage in a few months as our mortgage runs out. We have a few CCJ's (amounting to 21k) and are working with a broker as we speak to find a mortgage.

I'm not an expert but I do know that for a 'high risk' mortgage you need a broker as these companies generally don't deal direct.
    And also there are loads of factors, such as, if it was 1,2, or 3 years since the 'default' date, the amount of CCJ's and also the reason of the CCJ's seem to be relevant. These are all important when applying.

If it is of help, I shall let you know how my application goes and which lenders we talked to and what they said.

I did go to CAB, but I'm sorry to say they were no hope at all. I earn an ok salary and because of that there was nothing they could really help me with.

My untrained opinion is that you should be able to get one after 1 x year of the CCJ being defaulted and registered on your record, but it will be verry expensive.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vicsenp wrote: »
    Do I have anywhere to turn to get him off the mortgage?
    Ask your current lender if it will allow you to remove him from the mortgage and the deeds. You will need to be able to afford the mortgage alone and you will need his written permission for his removal.

The process involves your lender and a solicitor and is called a transfer of equity. The usual cost is between £400 and £600.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support