Mystery Shopping Thread 23 *PLEASE READ THE OP FIRST**PLEASE NO CLIENT NAMES OR FEES

Options

Comments

• Boredupnorth
    Boredupnorth Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    I'm quite new to mystery shopping and only started this last tax year. I informed HMRC when I started and they sent me a tax return form for the previous tax year, which I sent completed online to state I hadnt earnt anything other than my usual PAYE job.

Obviously, I need to complete the form again for the tax year just ended, which will be the first tax year I have earnt additional money in. I just have a query about what is taxable and what I can offset against tax.

For example, if I a mystery shop which is for a meal for two in a restaurant. The fee is £5 and there is a reimbursment of up to £30 for the meal. If I spend £28 on the meal, then I would pay tax on £33 and I am not able to offset anything other than travel (which I understand I can offset 40p per mile?).

My question is, what happens if I spend £32 on the meal. I assume I will pay tax on £35 (£5 fee plus £30 reimbursement)and offset travel against it. However, can I also offset the other £2 I spent on the meal. Clearly I wouldnt have spent the additional £2 if I wasn't doing the shop, so surely its an expense that I am not being reimbursed for?

Any help appreciated!
    My view would be that the additional expense was your choice to spend so is not counted, otherwise what would be stopping you spending £100 on a meal and claiming that? The company stipulated a limit which you went over at your own cost.
  • samtastic7
    samtastic7 Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well its quiet for me with the Mystery shopping but my 4 merchandising firms are keeping me on my toes.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    samtastic7 wrote: »
    well its quiet for me with the Mystery shopping but my 4 merchandising firms are keeping me on my toes.

I have 1 proper MS (not phone calls) all week. Not good is it? Oh well, guess it's OK on the whole as I was running around like a crazy thing the last 2 months. I need a break! How is everyone else getting along? Busy?
  • teendude
    teendude Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    My view would be that the additional expense was your choice to spend so is not counted, otherwise what would be stopping you spending £100 on a meal and claiming that? The company stipulated a limit which you went over at your own cost.

I agree. The £2 is not claimable as an expense. Cos otherwise why not just spend £60 on the meal and therefore have the £30 taxable be cancelled out by a £30 expense.

In other news I am no longer a 'teen'dude. I wonder if it is possible to change my username without creating a whole new account.....:j
  • ShyLouisa
    ShyLouisa Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    mimi1234 wrote: »
    I have 1 proper MS (not phone calls) all week. Not good is it? Oh well, guess it's OK on the whole as I was running around like a crazy thing the last 2 months. I need a break! How is everyone else getting along? Busy?

It's quiet for me too....just have a pharmacy audit next week + a bank p.o.s. job. Nothing else at the moment for this week.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Getting really annoyed with T*S lately..filled out an application on the 10th. Got a rather rude email from them advising me to allow for 7 days..hmpf - it's been 8 now!

Not much for me either on the mystery shop front..hopefully it'll pick up soon. I am quite pleased that I've managed to make around £80 in 10 days. I'm not working at the moment and so it's much needed! Just out of interest, how much does everyone else make on average per week from mystery shopping? I don't visit any other cities so could earn a bit more if I was willing to travel around a bit more..
  • Tudorc1
    Tudorc1 Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    teendude wrote: »

In other news I am no longer a 'teen'dude. I wonder if it is possible to change my username without creating a whole new account.....:j
    No idea about the username, but happy belated birthday !
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    Been pretty busy, couple of Outdoor shops for REACT, TNS syndicated stores, some TNS quick supermarkets that needed clearing and a few clear up calls for MF.

On the up side, 7 jobs done for REACT and 7 10/10's :-)
  • Beki88
    Beki88 Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teendude wrote: »

Happy (belated?) birthday :)
    Normally it is only if your user name gives out info which may identify you, might still be worth emailing to ask, you don't know for sure until you do :)

I made a booboo on GAP doing the orientation for one of the brands, I misread the question about timings TWICE! It didn't make much sense until I had already clicked off it and now it say's I can not do jobs for them. Will I get another chance? It was only the one wrong.

Everything will be ok in the end, and if it isn't ok then it isn't the end :)
  • Workie_Ticket
    Options
    Did a MFers job on Saturday with a midnight deadline for the report. Sent it in early evening. Received 5 very trivial proofreading queries on Sunday which were answered within 5 minutes of getting the email. Received 7 very trivial proofreading queries on Tuesday, which were answered within 5 minutes of getting the email, which included some but not all of the original 5.

Job is still pending payment.

So why is there a midnight deadline on these jobs when MFers sit on them for 4 days?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure