Care home fees

Options
I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am looking into the possibility of reclaiming my grand mothers care home fees on behalf of my mother and her 2 sisters.

My grandmother was in a care home from November 1990 to June 1998 and the cost for this service amounted to a considerable amount of money paid out by the sale of her bungalow.

She was no longer able to look after herself , cook etc and had trouble recognising people etc, and my parents moved her to a home nearer to them where sadly after many years she died.

I have been made aware that the costs for this residential care may be reclaimed, and I was wondering if anyone could help as this is completely new to us all, yet we feel she may have a case.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,740 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do you think you have a case to reclaim the fees?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been made aware that the costs for this residential care may be reclaimed

On what grounds?
    Is this one of those advance fee fraud claims companies that tells you can claim back all sorts of things as long as you pay them some up front money first (your greed sucks you in and they run off with the upfront money and are long gone before you realise they have scammed you).

I have never heard of any reclaiming in this area. I cant see how either as the contract and terms are agreed.

What reasond do you think you have as you say you feel she has a case?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Trebor01
    Trebor01 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    It was on the BBC Don't Get Done Get Dom or some such programme.

Please can people only respond if they can help rather than ask why, it's not very constructive....!!!
  • Trebor01
    Trebor01 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    PS no upfront money.....!!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want help you need to tell us why you think you have grounds for reclaim.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So, she was in the home, and she received the care and residence that was paid for. Why should the fees be repaid? Especially fees from 14 years ago, long after the person who paid for them and took use of the service provided has died?

You need to say on what grounds you think these fees should be repaid to her estate. Nobody can say anything constructive without knowing this. At the moment it sounds like you've just got the idea you can somehow get this money, but you don't actually know why.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,740 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Trebor01 wrote: »

Please can people only respond if they can help rather than ask why, it's not very constructive....!!!

Neither is posting a query where you don't give a reason why you believe you may have a claim.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport