1977 Halifax Building Society Paid Up Shares Book Found 35 years on

Options
My elderly mother - bless her - found a Halifax Building Society Paid-up Share Department Book today, for an account that she and my father had opened on my behalf back in 1977

It had only one deposit of £1.00, and three further entries for interest (each less than 4p).

I'm pretty sure that when the Halifax demutualised in '97 a £1.00 share would not have been a qualifying balance for a 'windfall' :) But just for fun Mum suggested that I find out if there would be any way I could take this teeny-weeny amount and increase it into, perhaps, just a teeny amount :)

I'm clueless as to where to start, so thought I'd open it up to all the real money-saving-experts to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions.

And, if no-one thinks we will have any luck in our quest, I will at least have the pleasure of seeing Mum :rotfl::rotfl: when I tell her I am a member of a Money Saving Expert forum

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Halifax sent out forms to customers over the years for people to claim their shares. The cut of was August 2010.

There was a minimun balance of £100 (i think) to qualify for shares to stop carpet bagging.

Also HBOS shares are not worth a lot anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport