Living in St Andrews

So I am trying to find some information on what it's like to live in St Andrews and finding it rather hard!

Finding rentals online that arent either student lets or holiday lets seems almost impossible.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what websites I should be looking at?

Comments

• loadsacash
    loadsacash Posts: 593
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What about looking at something like living in Fife.

My mother in law lives in St Andrews and it is a vedrfy nice town. It is rather expesive to buy a house there as lots of people do retire there and there are lots of people who buy to let for students.
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    This website should have some info:
    http://www.fifespc.co.uk/

St Andrews is lovely, but a lot of the accommodation is taken over by students and tourists, as you've found. There's a high demand for housing, and prices are dear.
    Good luck!
  • np20
    np20 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi,
    I lived in St Andrews for almost 5 years - 4 as a student and the best part of a 5th working after I graduated. I loved it and I miss it!

Be aware that its not well connected (15 min bus to the nearest train station in Leuchars and single carriageway A-roads to anywhere). That said its more than 15 min by bus to the train station from my house in Cambridge now - it just feels different when its to a different village.
    St Andrews is also not a happening place - if you're a clubber you'll be sorely dissappointed. It has (or had) a cinema and a theatre and there aren't many shops. As I'm not a great clothes shopper I didn't miss them and I enjoyed the fact it still had proper butchers and grocers. You'll need to head to Dundee (~30 min) or Edinburgh (~70 min) for big items, clothes, or if you want to spend a day shopping!
    Still, as I said I loved it there and I miss being able to stroll into town for food and take 15 min to walk along out to the sea, or one of the beaches.

As far as accommodation goes I'd say call some of the estate agents and ask. The places I stayed were uni halls, student lets and a private let so I can't help really, but I do remember seeing places offered. There aren't many estate agents but 2 that come from the deepest corners of the mind are paganosborne.com and rollos.co.uk
    I seem to remember.

Hope something there helps;-)
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills