Any one know of Lordswood, kent

Options
or know about the area. we buying property there ?:confused:

Comments

• Call_Centre_Guru
    Options
    Very large estate, a lot of council and ex council properties bought under right to buy, good private hospital, very near Chatham and Rochester, Maidstone not too far away. Handy for the M2 Asda is the main supermarket.
    :beer:
  • moving_2
    Options
    thank you, think our one in cook close was all individually built.

Just trying to find out more about the area.
  • Arrgh, typed a long and detailed reply but it didn't get posted:mad:

In brief: some nice areas (including where Cook Close is), some not so nice areas. Local primary schools are reasonable. 11plus still exists in Kent, so obviously grammar schools are good - Sir Joseph Williamson's Mathematical School, in Maidstone Road, Rochester ('The Math') or Chatham Grammar School for Boys in Maidstone Road, Chatham for the boys. Chatham Grammar School for Girls (actually in Gillingham), Fort Pitt (Rochester) and Rochester Grammar School for Girls (opposite the Math) are options for the girls. There is a catholic school, St John Fisher, in Chatham, but not recommended. Also a private school, Kings School (just off Rochester High Street, near the Cathedral). Questionable benefit over the grammar schools.

Leisure: avoid centre of chatham, not much to do in Lordswood itself though there is a leisure centre in north dane way, and a sports club as well (though don't go there, Anchorians in Gillingham are much friendlier.) No swimming pool in lordswood, though there are ones in Gillingham (Black Lion) and Hoo, as well as in Maidstone (Mote Park). The Math also have one on site and available at a reduced rate for pupils and their families.

Rochester is the most interesting place to go to. An old cathedral, an old castle, museums and annual dickens festivals and sweeps parades. The dockyard at chatham is also developing - the Ship and Trades pub is nice in the summer. Lots of nice country pubs - the Kings Arms in Boxley village (back streets between Lordswood and Maidstone) is highly recommended, especially in summer (huge garden).

Transport is not bad. Fast trains from chatham station to london. Bus service to chatham has improved, but is not cheap. M2 and M20 are nearby, though the roundabout system at J3 of the M2 can get clogged up at times as it also leads onto the main road (A229) to get to maidstone and the M20).

Overall: reasonable area, good local schools (assuming pass the 11plus), reasonable transport links and not too overpriced (given the current housing market). It's certainly an area I'll consider when I think about settling down.

One last tip: avoid St Mary's Island in Chatham - that's where nuclear subs were refitted. They say it's been decontaminated, but I wouldn't buy there.

Declaration of interest: I grew up in Lordswood and attended SJWMS.

If you want anymore information let me know.
  • moving_2
    Options
    thank you so so much for your reply, any info appreciated, notb too bothered re schools as no children, but other info useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure