SRJ Debt Recoveries

Options
I received a strange letter a few days ago simply titled 'SRJ' but addressed to me.

The letter states that they'd made enquiries about my current residence and they'd received information confirming that this is my current residence. The letter asks me to ring 08453137203 with the reference number. Other than my name in the address line it gives no other information about what it is about, it starts with 'Dear Sir/Madam' and is signed just 'SRJ'

I've searched the forum and found similar threads that have identified them as a debt recovery group and this is a fishing letter that they send out to people with the same name.

However it actually includes my middle name (which is very unique) and makes me think they might have the right person. But, I don't have any outstanding debts.

The only thing I could think of is when I moved house last year I had a very difficult time getting my broadband provider to cancel my account and ended up still paying 2 months after I've moved out before cancelling the direct debit and sending them an email pointing out I'd cancelled months ago.

Shortly after I received a letter (redirected from my old address) from them demanding payment for £30. I sent them an angry letter reminding them that the account was still cancelled. I haven't heard anything since November/December.

My first reaction was to check my credit report but realised that completing the application would officially linking my old and new address and SRJ might see that. Is this likely?

My second question is how can I find out how they found me? I'm not on the published electoral roll and try to be careful with who gets my details.

Thanks.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    If your credit file is not already linked old and new address then you requesting it and getting a copy would provide them with your address.
    But it sounds like they already have it anyway so I wouldn't worry too much on that score.

Have you opened any new credit accounts at the new address? and did you not provide details of old address? Did you move any accounts from old address to new (eg bank account/mobile bill etc). If so chances are the addresses are already linked with the credit reference agencies.

And chances are that is how they've traced you.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Guitar
    Guitar Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've received another letter from SRJ, this time much less vague, specifically mentioning my old address and broadband company.

It threatens to begin litigation proceedings with the addition of solicitor's fees, court fees and interest, along with a damaged credit rating and bankruptcy.

It also threatens a 'Warrant of Execution'. I had to google that one.

The outstanding debt is £29.93.
    I don't know what this is actually for, the monthly cost of the broadband was only around £20.

I'm not sure what to do now, I could just pay it but since I don't agree I owe the debt and I've already over paid two months plus wasted £20 phone credit trying to get them to cancel over the phone, I'm not happy giving them even more money.

I don't particularly want to contact either SRJ or the broadband company incase it just invites more harassment.

So do I just ignore this (assuming they're not about to destroy my life over £30) or contact the broadband company and ask them what the debt is actually for?
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Think there would be no harm contacting your former provider to find out this alleged debt is for, put it in writing and send it recorded , as for phoning them I wouldn't , if it's virgin they are a nightmare it's taken 6 months for me to get a default removed from my wife's files, we dealt over the phone with them at the start.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • littlepuffin
    Options
    I had a letter off them just now, same one you got. I possibly do have a debt at my old house, with Sky who were getting silly over me cancelling.....I had been with them for the contract length. I know too that I have old debts from between 6 and 10 years ago from when I was with my ex.....who racked up bills and they were all in my name ( silly me....I know)

I am not calling SRJ as I know this gets used as an acknowledgement ( why does that have to be such a hard word to spell lol) of debt, so my plan was to just ignore it....but thats stressing me out somewhat :(
  • secretmachines
    secretmachines Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    just bumping this thread, as I received a similar letter today from SRJ about a change of address (I've moved house a few weeks ago). the letter says 'due to data protection legislation details of the account are not included in this letter'.

the letter arrived via Royal Mail redirection... actually my old address which they sent it to is ever so slightly wrong (the wrong flat number).

i'm 99% i don't have any outstanding debts, all utilities were either ended & settled or switched to the new address.

i've never received any demands for outstanding payment at my old address.

are the chances that this is just a scam and I should just ignore it?
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guitar (good user name BTW).

If you can prove you cancelled the account with the required notice then I would send them a letter saying you dispute the debt. Write this in capitals at the top of the letter.

Ask them for a statement of account (your legal right) and a copy of the agreement (don't know if they are obliged to send this though).

Tell them you will not be making any payment until you have this information.

Once you have it I would take it to Citizen's Advice or seek help here.

If you are going to fight it, know that you might have to take it all the way to a judge in a County Court hearing.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strange email received
    [FONT=&quot]Miss (correct surname)

SRJ have recently sent you a letter to your address and are awaiting a call on 08453137218 quoting your reference number XXXXX between 0800 - 2100 Monday to Friday and 0900 - 1600 Saturdays.

Alternatively you can log in at WWW. SRJPAY. COM where you will be able to make a payment, see answers to frequently asked questions or send and receive secure correspondence.

We are here to help you resolve this matter quickly and easily.

Kind Regards
    Mark Faithful
    SRJ Limited[/FONT]

No letters have arrived from this company
    The reference number they quote does not match any for the debts I currently have
    The email came through to my private email address with High Importance attached. This address is used for private things like bank and bills etc.
    Did get a bit concerned but then googled the phone number which took me to the who-calls-me website where they all say scam company etc
  • secretmachines
    secretmachines Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    for the record, the letter i received was legitimate, however it was linked to an unpaid BT account for a house-share I left 4.5 years ago! my name was somehow linked to the account still (which I had asked to be removed at the time of moving out).

but I held firm (but fair) with BT ,explained the situation, and within a day they had emailed back to apologise for any inconvenience and wiped the debt (about £50) and said i wouldn't hear from SRJ again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure