Company Car - FULLY Expensed?

Options
2»

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What are you doing to accumulate 1k personal miles a month.

That was my sort of mileage with a 200m per week commute.

I would look to combine business trips with some of the personal trips.

Agree they should give more notice for such a change.

Look inot not having a taxed car by no longer using it for any personal mileage and get your own for that, might mean leaving it at an office and comuting.

12,000 miles per year is not unreasonable private mileage, it's less than 250 miles per week.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    12,000 miles per year is not unreasonable private mileage, it's less than 250 miles per week.

I'd tend to disagree.
    The average insurance policy for a PD&P policy is less than 12K miles annually now.
    If you add in the fact that usually covers people travelling to and from work then that 12K private miles looks quite high (as an ontop).

I was doing 18K to 24K miles a year for work (a few years back now) and my private mileage was less than 6.5K a year.

As to the OP;-

I do agree it is very off to make that change with that little amount of notice and i suspect there will be something in your contract about the amount of time they have to give to make a variance change like that.

When is your car up for renewal?
    Most are 3 or 4 year leases so i'd suggest when that happens you look into opting out or, more realistically, you look at cars with low CO2 and high mpg and slightly less toys. O and and forget about the badge snobbery (it'll save you loads).

Had to make those adjustments myself after DS was born :)
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like 2012 has finally washed in where you work....
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fred7777
    fred7777 Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When they are cutting wages and getting away with it, and laying off staff, I can't see a court having a deal of sympathy about you having to pay for the petrol you use for yourself. Not being harsh, just realistic.
    Realistically it's not about sympathy it's but law. Cutting a benefit of this kind is legally exactly the same as cutting wages.

In answer to the OP questions:

(1) Can they just change policy without any notice? The memo went out this afternoon and they are saying it starts as of 1st April 2012.
    No they have to give more notice than this.

(2) I signed my Contract Of Employment based on the fact I could enjoy the use of a fully expensed car. Surely that means they need to re-negotiate my contract with me?
    Yes they do, which is effectively what they are doing. If you say nothing an go along with the new system you will be deemed to have accepted this modification to your contract. Alternatively outright refusal to accept this modification could ultimately result in you making yourself redundant.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    fred7777 wrote: »
    Realistically it's not about sympathy it's but law. Cutting a benefit of this kind is legally exactly the same as cutting wages.

In answer to the OP questions:

(1) Can they just change policy without any notice? The memo went out this afternoon and they are saying it starts as of 1st April 2012.
    No they have to give more notice than this.

(2) I signed my Contract Of Employment based on the fact I could enjoy the use of a fully expensed car. Surely that means they need to re-negotiate my contract with me?
    Yes they do, which is effectively what they are doing. If you say nothing an go along with the new system you will be deemed to have accepted this modification to your contract. Alternatively outright refusal to accept this modification could ultimately result in you making yourself redundant.

They can give overnight notice - as that's what they have done. The question should be 'what can be done about this' which is, do not accept it and as a result, the OP may find themselves without a job or at least - working under duress whilst this is sorted out. Redundancy has nothing to do with it.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

Without commuting I think thats a lot for most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure