Is something better on the cards?

Options
This is something people say to you when your made redundant / Loss your job / apply for a job you don't get. I may be very negative but in my experience the next job you get is usually worse that the previous / job you got rejected from etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    falko89 wrote: »
    This is something people say to you when your made redundant / Loss your job / apply for a job you don't get. I may be very negative but in my experience the next job you get is usually worse that the previous / job you got rejected from etc.

Thoughts?
    Normally worse than the one you have left.
  • Rockporkchop
    Options
    People generally offer platitudes like that because they don't know what else to say to make you feel better and also because they genuinely hope it will apply to you.

Try to think positively. From what you have said on the site already, you have plenty of skills so it is only a matter of time before you get a decent offer.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Many people move onto better things.

the ovvious one is thta the company they were working for was going through issues, so may no longer exist and the job they were doing would have changed often for the worse.

People reflect and realise they should have been looking to move on anyway so look for better jobs rather than just the same.

Looking at the 20+ people that I used to work with they have mostly moved on to better jobs with currently more successfull companies. (these are good enginerrs/managers in high tech industries).
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Worse in my case. Less hours and less per hour. Employers will mark down wages when they have a chance, so many out there will still take the job. They know that.:cool:
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    So there seems to be a good chance that this is the case, I suppose if your in an office based job you've got plenty of room to drop, when you where already scraping the bottom of the barrel its worrying to think what could actually be worse :(
  • Littleoldme
    Littleoldme Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Not always in the long run. I was made redundant from a (badly paid) job (for what I did) and through taking a temping job which was a "step down" got my foot in the door with the company and after 6 months applied for a permanent job which paid a fairer rate for what I do.

I now look at my redundancy as a blessing in disguise as it forced me out my comfort zone into a new job where I am better of.
  • heretolearn_2
    heretolearn_2 Posts: 3,565 Forumite
    Options
    Many people do go on to better things as it shakes you out of your rut, and you find yourself applying for jobs that you would not have applied for before it happened.

When I was made redundant I ended up in a job that was about the same initially, but quickly found firm was a nightmare, high staff turnover etc, stuck it out for about 4 months then looked around again and ended up in my dream job thanks to the experience I'd gained in a relevant field during those 4 months. So it all worked out great for me.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    hubby got made redundant in December, paid until end of December with nearly 11 months pay, he got a job by end Jan, started in Mid feb. it is less money and further away, but he already has identified two potential positions that he could strive for in the future - and of course the redundancy money is supplementing the drop in pay and rise in expenses, definitely a positive outcome we feel.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    If you are in work and concentrating on getting through the day and paying the bills, lots of opportunties pass you by, if made redundant you have no choice than to look elsewhere, sometimes some of the opportunties you didn't see previously present themselves. Not all change is bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure