I'm devastated :(

Options
I'll start from the beginning - this could be long. Bit of a rant really.

We got our yellow labrador almost 2 years ago. He was a little 10 week old pup and was adorable. We initially got him so that it would encourage my sister to go out, as she had a fear of going out. He is her dog.
And she now wants to get rid of him! I'm devastated

She has all these issues / addictions (to Drink, Sex and Relationships). She twists things so that it makes you feel sorry for her and so on. She's basically getting rid of him because she wants to move out of my Mums place, and live on her own. Plus apparently the dog is an 'inconvenience' as she can't go out and do things all the time because he needs looking after. (He is just used to having people around all the time.)

His name is 'Kingsley' and he has made our home such a happy place. Depsite my Mum being ill with cancer and going through several operations, and chemotherapy and radiotherapy - he has just made things bare able and he's so loveable. He just knows when you're upset or down and he'll come and give you a big kiss and cuddle bless him.

I want to take him, however I'm in a tiny flat until end of October, and she won't wait until then. I'm literally devastated. I love our dog so much, he really is amazing and really is a 'friend' more than a pet. He's not trained very well, but he's so clever. He gets so happy when he see's me as well. The family live in Hertfordshire, and I'm in Kent - so I don't see him much anymore, and that was bad enough.

I just don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want him to go. I've been crying about it. Some might say 'he's just a dog' but he isn't, not to me :(

This is him;
20gfh2d.jpg73l9n8.jpg
SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000

Comments

• aneres
    aneres Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that, you must be so upset.

Is there anyone else that could look after him for a few months?

He looks like a lovely dog.
  • MusicalLawyer
    Options
    He is so good. He's a little cheeky, and he isn't very well trained (sister couldn't be bothered and wouldn't let me take him!).

There is literally no one to take him :(
    She's giving him to some guy at this group she goes to. It's ridiculous.

My boyfriend doesn't really like dogs, I've been trying so hard to make him come round to the idea of us having him - but we can't have him till Oct / Nov when we can get a 1 bed house, or ground floor flat with Garden.

I would feel bad about leaving him on his own - but I only go to Uni for a couple of hours per day, and I only work 18 hours per week. I know he'd be find for those lengths of time.

I am so upset. I don't want him to think that we don't want him, or don't like him or love him. Because we do, so so so so so much. Mum can't take him as she's just ready to go back to work now, and she's looking forward to moving on from the cancer.

I just don't know what to do. I can't even bare to talk to my sister right now - every one is so angry at her!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sister moves into your flat and you move in with mum and dog?

Do it all legally though so you can't be liable if she screws up the rent.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or mum moves into you flat - you and bfriend have the house and dog?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • MusicalLawyer
    Options
    I would but I can't do that. I live in my flat with my boyfriend in Kent. My Uni is nearby and is my job. My family live in Hertfordshire.

If I wasn't with my boyfriend, I would move in with Mum, and transfer my job to the local Sainsbury's in Hertfordshire, and we'd probably keep the dog. But it just isn't an option. I love my boyfriend and we've been together 18 months. We moved in together about 4 months ago.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could the Cinnamon Trust help??
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 March 2012 at 10:44PM
    Options
    I have a feeling Rising may pop in here and perhaps.......

Can you tell us more info about the dog?

Is he neutered? vaccinated? Microchipped? Flea treated/wormed?

How is he on a lead? With other dogs? With strangers? With kids?

If a suitable home was found but far away - woud you be able to transport the dog?
  • Wellyboots6
    Wellyboots6 Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure somebody would take him in temporarily :)

Somebody who enjoys dog training and is looking for company for their poorly pooch ;)

I do feel for you though, I could never imagine having to give up a family pet like that.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP says that er b/f does not really like dogs.
    OP is at Uni at the moment and only working part time - this will change.
    Yes, painful for the OP but the best scenario here would be for the dog to find a new, permanent home where he feels wanted and loved.
    Finding someone for a temp basis may look like a solution - but is it really?
    Dog is still young enough to settle well in a new home.
    Sometimes to love someone you have to do the best thing for them - let them go. That applies to pets too.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I have a feeling Rising may pop in here and perhaps.......

I'm here ..... a little fragile atm :( and I would say that having to give up a dog after 24 hours was really hard and I could certainly not have one for any length of time & do it - I really am in awe of people who can foster:T
    OP says that er b/f does not really like dogs.
    OP is at Uni at the moment and only working part time - this will change.
    Yes, painful for the OP but the best scenario here would be for the dog to find a new, permanent home where he feels wanted and loved.
    Finding someone for a temp basis may look like a solution - but is it really?
    Dog is still young enough to settle well in a new home.
    Sometimes to love someone you have to do the best thing for them - let them go. That applies to pets too.

Have to say I agree ..... ML I really feel for you and would be really angry if it was my sister but it does sound as if she (and you) are quite young and the responsibility of a dog is a huge commitment - if she's not up to it, then I'm afraid it is in his best interests for a new home to be found. If you're not in a position to have him then finding the best permanent home for him is what he needs, no matter how much it breaks your heart (sorry) and (((hugs)))
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure