Company Car - FULLY Expensed?

Options
Please give me advice on this if you can.

I have been working for my company for 3 years now and have enjoyed the use of a fully expensed vehicle. Obviously that means I had ALL my fuel and repairs paid for and the Fuel Benefit came out of my salary in tax.

Now I receive a memo today from the firm saying that I am going to have to pay back any Private Mileage to them through my expenses on a monthly basis. Furthermore they are saying they have done an analysis that shows the Fuel Benefit costs me around £790 per annum in tax, which equates to 6,000 Private miles.

I did between 11,000 and 12,000 Private Miles between 2009 and 2012 tax years...so how would I be BETTER OFF?!!!

My questions are this:

(1) Can they just change policy without any notice? The memo went out this afternoon and they are saying it starts as of 1st April 2012.

(2) I signed my Contract Of Employment based on the fact I could enjoy the use of a fully expensed car. Surely that means they need to re-negotiate my contract with me?

It feels like a kick in the nuts but I don't want to be all reactionary about it if it really doesn't disadvantage me, but I think it does.

Can people clarify for me?

Comments

• bluenoseneil
    Options
    Doesn't anyone have a view on this? Your help would be appreciated!!
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Try posting it on a more appropriate board.;)

EG: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Just inform them that the vehicle will now be used solely for work only, will be kept at work and you will travel to work in your own vehicle so they can remove any tax deductions you get as it is now solely a pool vehicle with no private access.
    This is usually the best for all, as you dont get taxed on the vehicle or charged mileage
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2012 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Probably better to post on "Cutting Tax".

But...

You need to clarify:-

1. Was it 11-12,000 private miles in total or each year?
    2. What's the Co2 rate and fuel type?
    3. Is this just a future change or are they saying they want back-pay for the past periods?

They can vary contracts though, you can choose to go to your union.

:cool:
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't anyone have a view on this? Your help would be appreciated!!

deleted. other thread running.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport