POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let us know how you get on.
  • Suwong
    Suwong Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 November 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    I recently bought 3 x gift cards at M&S for my teenage grandchildren totalling to £80, within 10 minutes after talking to my daughter I went back in the store and explained that I had made a mistake. I explained that my grandchildren would not want to shop at M&S and they had 16 miles to travel to the nearest store, so I asked for a refund. The manager said it was not possible. I told her that I had seen the returns policy displayed behind the tills stating “Changed your mind, we will exchange or refund”.
    Can you tell me what my rights are please, if I have any.
    Thanks
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Suwong wrote: »
    I recently bought 3 x gift cards at M&S for my teenage grandchildren totalling to £80, within 10 minutes after talking to my daughter I went back in the store and explained that I had made a mistake. I explained that my grandchildren would not want to shop at M&S and they had 16 miles to travel to the nearest store, so I asked for a refund. The manager said it was not possible. I told her that I had seen the returns policy displayed behind the tills stating “Changed your mind, we will exchange or refund”.

Probably none, there are normally exclusions to such policies to include gift cards and the like.
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    If Ikea can have NO EXPIRY date on their gift vouchers, why can everyone else not do the same?

Even Amazon is 10 years.

IMO it is back door way of making money out of those people who forget/misplace them.

As this thread has been reopened today I would add that Cex vouchers are valid for 1,000 years (plus one day I think).

Trade in vouchers but otherwise the same.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Suwong wrote: »

I had seen the returns policy displayed behind the tills stating “Changed your mind, we will exchange or refund”.
    Thanks

This seems to apply to items actually bought rather than gift cards

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/help/returns-and-refunds/ive-lost-my-receipt-can-i-still-get-a-refund
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In addition, anything purchased with a gift voucher would also be refunded as a gift voucher if returned.
    I think the OP's best option is to make purchases for her grandchildren with the gift cards, if 16 miles is too far for them to travel.
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't think of any retailer that refunds a gift card.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    Woolco wrote: »
    Why are we commenting on somthing from 2012 please? Engage the brain, not the keyboard. Thank you very much.

Says the person commenting on a thread from 2012, including me ad infinitum.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Says the person commenting on a thread from 2012, including me ad infinitum.....
    The post you quoted was published in February. :)

As I originally said in direct response, threads this old should be closed to new posts automatically.

Regardless, the thread was bumped up very recently with a new query nothing to do with expired gift cards and duly answered.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    The post you quoted was published in February. :)

Indeed, point made
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport