NRAM Vs ME!

Options
Hi Guys and Girls,

Can any of you guys give me some advice or help please!

I have a mortgage which I have had since DEC 2006, in May 2007 I was made redundant and again in April 2008 lol

This put me in a very difficult situation with my mortgage and I got behind on payments, I managed to get the payments back in line eventually but not before NRAM slapped on plenty of arrears charges etc, I heard that these £55.00 charges were unlawful and not in keeping with their actual costs, so I took it upon myself to send them a letter requesting these monies back. Please see below:

21st February 2012

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ref: Account number: #########

Please consider this letter to be a formal request that you repay all default charges that have been applied to my account. I do not believe these charges reflect the true cost to you.

Please see a full Breakdown of all I believe to be excessive and unfair attached.

You have taken £2,560.86 from me, plus interest of 8% per annum and I would like to request repayment of the full amount including interest. I also ask you to ensure any late payment notices entered against my credit record are removed entirely.

Please repay this money in full and remove any late payments relating to this period within 14 days. If this is not done, I will begin a claim against you for the full amount, plus interest and my costs.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,

Mr TBQFH,

These are the charges that I listed in a separate excel document.

Date Transaction Charge

01-Aug-07 Arrears Charge £25.00
15-Aug-07 Solicitors Instruction Fee £30.00
01-Sep-07 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Oct-07 Arrears Charge £25.00
12-Oct-07 Affidavit Fee £30.00
01-Nov-07 Arrears Charge £55.00
27-Nov-07 Legal Fees £510.63
01-Dec-07 Arrears Charge £55.00
14-Dec-07 Payment Option Fee £25.00
01-Jan-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Feb-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Mar-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Mar-08 Debt Councelling £47.00
26-Mar-08 Legal Fees £663.23
01-Apr-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-May-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Jun-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Jul-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Sep-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Oct-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Nov-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Dec-08 Arrears Charge £55.00
14-Dec-08 Payment Option Fee £25.00
01-Jan-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Feb-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Mar-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Apr-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-May-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Jun-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
01-Jul-09 Arrears Charge £55.00
14-Dec-10 Payment Option Fee £25.00
£2,560.86

Well i haven't heard a dickie bird from them not even a reply to say they were looking in to it!

Can anyone advise me where to go next with it?

I did send the letter recorded signed for.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• tbqfh
    tbqfh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the advice guys, I thought someone on here would be able to give me an idea of what to do next?
  • glum_2
    Options
    I telephoned the financial ombudsman with regards to NRAM. My issues were different to yours but they are very good to talk to.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I telephoned the financial ombudsman with regards to NRAM. My issues were different to yours but they are very good to talk to.

I am not a fan of the telephone line at the FOS. It is largely script based and everyone is told the same thing. You are not actually speaking to an adjudicator or ombudsman when you call. Just someone that answers the phone and often guilty of having the same knowledge and views of a Daily Mail reader.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    tbqfh wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the advice guys, I thought someone on here would be able to give me an idea of what to do next?

Being a sarcastic little pr*ck is hardly going to help you get input is it?
  • 1s10ma
    1s10ma Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I have just had an offer from Natwest as a good will gesture. However, they are suggesting using the offer to pay offset part of my credit card balance. I am currently paying my credit card by direct debit and would rather Natwest send me a cheque for my missold ppi.

Is Natwest allowed to do this considering that I am paying by direct debit?

Can anyone suggest how I can get natwest to send me the cheque?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is Natwest allowed to do this considering that I am paying by direct debit?

Yes. The way you pay your credit card balance is irrelevant.
    Can anyone suggest how I can get natwest to send me the cheque?

Ask them nicely. If you have not had arrears/late payments/defaults then often they will pay to you directly.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 1s10ma
    1s10ma Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2012 at 5:13AM
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Yes. The way you pay your credit card balance is irrelevant.

Ask them nicely. If you have not had arrears/late payments/defaults then often they will pay to you directly.
    Thanks for your response. I have sent them a letter today. However, I am concerned that they might use it to pay off my balance. The problem is that my claim was done through investors compensation, who are charging 25% plus 20% VAT and I still have about 15 pending claims with them. The truth is if Natwest pays this £1000 towards my card balance. I will not be able to pay investors compensation their fee.

I am sorry I did not realise I could do this direct until I heard Martin Lewis on BBC last month.

Some of the pending claims are as far back as 1997, some accounts have long been closed due to default. Please advise. Can anyone please advise on what to do?
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    1s10ma, you'd be better off starting your own thread. It gets confusing dealing with two issues in one place!

To the OP: if you haven't even received an acknowledgement of your complaint, then I think it's pretty likely that NRAM either hasn't received it, or has received it and then lost it (you did check with the post office that your recorded letter has actually been signed for?). Check the address, then either call them (if the post office says the letter was delivered), or send the letter again.

I don't think you have even the remotest hope of getting them to tell the credit reference agencies that your late payments were not late. NRAM is required to give the credit references accurate information, so it can't say all payments were made on time unless that's true.

With regards to the late charges, you might have a slim chance of getting some of them wiped off on a goodwill basis - but I'm afraid I think your chances there are very tiny, rather than zero as with your other request. Briefly, you were required to pay them £x on y date, they borrowed elsewhere with the expectation that they'd be receiving £x on y date, and you didn't hold up your end of the bargain. They're allowed to make some charge for that.

As to the legal fees, £600 odd suggests that they did actually do something - do you know what that was? I think it may or may not be reasonable depending on what happened.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure