Free/cheap things to do in Sheffield?

Options
Hi there I'm moving (back) to Sheffield from Manchester this weekend, OH is already there.

We have a week off work together and wondered if anyone can suggest free/cheap things to do? We're moving to near Norfolk Park, so a long walk in the park is a definite.

This sounds quite specific but between Rochdale/Bury is an animal sanctuary where you can take the dogs for a walk in the countryside etc. Its a really nice afternoon out and I wondered if there was anything similar in or near Sheff?

Any replies muchly appreciated.

Comments

• joughtib
    joughtib Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Janine, Norfolk Park is beautiful, the panoramic views of the city are spectactular from there. We have work meetings in the community venue there, called "Centre In The Park".

You might want to have a look at http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk, as they have a specific section on Sheffield Pet Owners, and Sheffield Walkers, and between the two, I hope you should be able to find something helpful!

Jools :)
  • janine22
    janine22 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Yep I agree, the park is lovely. We've only had a quick look round it to see what it was like but will be spending more time there next week.

I have been on Sheffield Forum but it seems to be centred on nights out. I lived in Sheff for 3 years so I know where I like to go of an evening, just wondered if there were any free/cheap events next week for us to go to while we're off work.

Just bagged some free cinema tickets for Monday night!
  • dizzy_blonde_2
    Options
    Weston Park Museum has recently been closed for extensive refurbishment and modernization. It's now reopened and is definately recommended. Lots of interactive exhibits and its FREE to get in!
  • janine22
    janine22 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Weston Park Museum looks good, thanks.

Is there anything not museum/art gallery/walking based? Any free/cheap events in March?

We're going to go round the park, have a trip to Weston Park museum, also the Winter Gardens and I've got free cinema tickets. Have I missed anything?

OH has never lived in Sheff (although he visited me loads when I lived there) so I want to sell it to him! He's seen the nightlife and loves it but want to show him that there's plenty of other stuff to do. On a v. tight budget as well at the minute.
  • joughtib
    joughtib Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    On the Sheffield City Council website, there is a "What's On" section. The link below is for events between tomorrow and the 15th of March. Some are free, some not, but it's worth a look.

http://www.sheffieldwhatson.org.uk/today/today_new.asp?day1=1&month1=March&year1=2007&day2=15&month2=March&year2=2007&x=12&y=11
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I can see the wonderful Norfolk Park out of my window as I type this, I suspect we might be neighbours of a sort!

A trip out into the Peak District is a must, whether for walking or just sitting and relaxing in the sun. When you go to the Winter Gardens, be sure to visit the Millennium Galleries too, they're just next door and mostly free to look around.
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The five weirs walk is lovely and really interesting. Weston Park Museum is brilliant. A walk through the parks -starting at Endcliffe Park and ending up out near the peak district is good and free if you avoid the (very good) bacon sandwiches in the cafe's en route. Endcliffe Park usually hosts the free big screen cinema in summer sponsered by Shloer (look on their website for details), There' s also the free singalonga Grease being held at the Showcase cinema on 25th May - but you have to have tickets (look on freebie cinema thread). We usually manage the cinema twice per week in Sheffield for free as there are 3 cinema's (Vue, Cineworld and Odeon).
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Theres free Bowling at centertainment (for up to 6 people) if you look on the freebie thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure