Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

MSE News: Budget 2012: Single state pension plan confirmed

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Budget 2012: Single state pension plan confirmed

241 replies 23.7K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Government has confirmed plans to merge the basic and second state pensions..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• So exactly when is this going to happen?

I can start taking my pension early 2014 and have a forecast including Serps which totals £210 per week.

After paying in all my life, surely they can't cut one third off my expected pension?
  • I've found this site, by googling tax allowances 2012-2013 which gives some more information
    professionalpensions.com

but they mention ARAs, does this mean the second pension, i.e. serps etc?

My partner was born 2 april 1948 (due to retire next year) does this mean he will get the £200+ quoted on his pension forecast??

As already mentioned, surely they can't take away something you've been paying into all your working life.

I don't work, and can't get a pension for another 9 years. I got caught by the age rise to 65 and then to 66!!

I can't see how we could manage on £140 a week.
  • edited 21 March 2012 at 6:16PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2012 at 6:16PM
    So exactly when is this going to happen?

I can start taking my pension early 2014 and have a forecast including Serps which totals £210 per week.

After paying in all my life, surely they can't cut one third off my expected pension?

This is what it says in the budget report
    Single tier pension
    1.212 The Government will reform the State Pension into a single tier pension for future pensioners. The new system will be introduced early in the next Parliament and will be set at a level above the means tested standard Guarantee Credit and all State Pension records will be recognised. As set out in the Green Paper published by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), the single tier will cost no more than the current State Pension system in every year. The Government will bring forward further detail in a White Paper in the spring, with final decisions on the detailed implementation of the policy being taken at the next spending review.
    So almost a certainty you will not be affected reaching SPA in early 2014. There won't be any retrospective element to it.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to it as I was contracted out for all but a few years so my additional pension currently is forecast at around £12 pw :D
  • edited 21 March 2012 at 6:08PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2012 at 6:08PM
    molerat wrote: »
    I look forward to it as I was contracted out for all but a few years so my additional pension currently is forecast at around £12 pw :D

Sadly for you it won't work that way. There will be a deduction from the flat amount for periods where you have been contracted-out of SERPS to reflect that part of your state pension is being provided by the contracted-out arrangement. The green paper refers to this.

They seem to have opted for option 2 in the green paper which is the interesting announcement that has been made in the budget report.

The detail is yet to be decided.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We'll pay you what we can borrow from the Brazilians.

That's what I expect from my next pension forecast.
    The last state pension forecast is obviously "out of date" now.
  • edited 21 March 2012 at 6:39PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2012 at 6:39PM
    Other interesting thing in the Budget report was about State Pension Age
    2.11 State Pension age – The Government will commit to ensuring the State Pension age is increased in future to take into account increases in longevity and will publish proposals at the time of the OBR’s 2012 Fiscal sustainability report.
    The 2011 Fiscal Sustainability Report came out in July 2011 so I am guessing we will find out more in July this year.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The deduction for contracting out was detailed as taking back upto £40 of the £140. So, if your contracted out benefits were say £150pw, then you would still be £110pw better off.

Time will tell though as there is still a lot of tinkering and factual information to follow.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SnowMan wrote: »
    Sadly for you it won't work that way. There will be a deduction from the flat amount for periods where you have been contracted-out of SERPS to reflect that part of your state pension is being provided by the contracted-out arrangement. The green paper refers to this.

They seem to have opted for option 2 in the green paper which is the interesting announcement that has been made in the budget report.

The detail is yet to be decided.

What does this mean in plain English?

I'm 45 and I've been contracted out for only around 3 years of my working life - how does this affect me? My current S2P forecasts mentions around £23 a week in S2P.
  • edited 21 March 2012 at 10:23PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2012 at 10:23PM
    What does this mean in plain English?

I'm 45 and I've been contracted out for only around 3 years of my working life - how does this affect me? My current S2P forecasts mentions around £23 a week in S2P.

In plain English it means don't assume you will get exactly £140 per week in State Pension.

Until they have worked out the detail of the scheme and how they will deal with people who have already built up past entitlements to additional pension (such as S2P) and without knowing your full contribution history it is impossible to say.

I could guess how the scheme might work but I couldn't explain it in plain English. The State scheme is way too complicated to be able to do that.
    I came, I saw, I melted
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support