Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eric does not agree with O's posting, but his number = 0.0025 O's, don't understand why he does not like em..smiley-laughing021.gif

0.64 O's for me....who gets the spoon....coffee.gif

Cruel!:rotfl:
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    If it was magic I would make the house next to me invisable so it did not effect me later in the day.:D

I think that I am very lucky at the moment but each panel does have its own optimizer which makes a big difference when its not wall to wall sun. Today the production of each panel ranged from 359.25W to 476.00W.

I work in Bridlington and it can be beautiful and sunny there and when I look at production on my phone its non existant back in Driffield and its 10 miles away.

Maybe later in the year you will have the luck and I will be in the clouds!

Whatever the reason your system seems to be a clear winner at this time of year. That's quite a result being so northerly & with some shading.

What are these 'optimizers' you have fitted?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    What are these 'optimizers' you have fitted?

With the numbers he's posting I'm guessing the optimizers are a bank of floodlights plugged in to next doors electricity supply! :beer:
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,236 Forumite
    Options
    Eric does not agree with O's posting, but his number = 0.0025 O's, don't understand why he does not like em
    I'm sure I've explained it many times before but for the benefit of anyone who has missed it:-

kWp is just one of the variables that affects how much electricity you can generate in a day. To ignore location, roof slope and the compass direction the panels face makes a 'raw O' meaningless.

You'll notice that all four variables are given in my postings so anyone who has nothing better to do with their time than dividing by 4000 can indulge themselves.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    With the numbers he's posting I'm guessing the optimizers are a bank of floodlights plugged in to next doors electricity supply! :beer:

I'm with Andy on this one. Clearly, there's something odd going on there.:)
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    ... kWp is just one of the variables that affects how much electricity you can generate in a day. To ignore location, roof slope and the compass direction the panels face makes a 'raw O' meaningless.

Technically, I think you are correct. The denominator and numerator are different units so the O is kWh/kW, seemingly hours rather than a pure ratio. Nonetheless, we can surely all understand that it serves as a useful comparison between systems.

A better approximation may be the daily kWh produced divided monthly PVGIS/number of days in month. I'm not sure whether daily PVGIS's are available.

So my January daily PVGIS would be 121/31 = 3903 Wh. I know that the spread is not linear across the month.

Say my daily output is 3000, we would now have 3000 Wh/3903 Wh = 0.77. This number does take into account some of the variables that you mention.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Waywardmike
    Options
    I think I may be reaping the benefit of being quite southerly.... not THAT far south though (Bedford)

We had the snow yesterday afternoon here at work.. got home and it was clear...

Yesterday I managed 8.9 kWh so 2.225 O's...

Today I woke up with snow on the panels but just checking now I've already hit 2.2kWh and was producing 3kW so I'm assuming it's either slid off or melted....

January is looking at being a spectacular month for me.. 131% of PVGIS estimate with a day and a half still to go....

good times.... :)
    4 Kwp System, South Facing, 35 Degree Pitch, 16 x 250W Solarworld Panels, SMA Sunnyboy 3600 Inverter, Installed 02/09/14 in Sunny South Bedford - £5600
    Growatt AC Coupled SPA3000tl and 6.5kWh battery Installed Apr 2022
  • Andy_WSM
    edited 30 January 2015 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Today was looking promising with nearly an O in the bag already and nice toasty under floor heating taking up the excess, but pesky cloud is building. Grrrr.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,236 Forumite
    Options
    Technically, I think you are correct. The denominator and numerator are different units so the O is kWh/kW, seemingly hours rather than a pure ratio. Nonetheless, we can surely all understand that it serves as a useful comparison between systems.

A better approximation may be the daily kWh produced divided monthly PVGIS/number of days in month. I'm not sure whether daily PVGIS's are available.

So my January daily PVGIS would be 121/31 = 3903 Wh. I know that the spread is not linear across the month.

Say my daily output is 3000, we would now have 3000 Wh/3903 Wh = 0.77. This number does take into account some of the variables that you mention.
    Er No, NOT all of us agree that comparing one factor out of a possible 4 is any use at all. An example I've given before is when two people attempt to compare miles per gallon on their respective cars without allowing for the fact that one car might be twice as heavy as the other, one may be driven exclusively in a congested town whilst other spends most time on a motorway etc etc

Comparing one days generation with the PVGIS forecast for that day would indeed be a much sounder comparison. All the variables (except perhaps shading) would be taken into account. I don't think individual daily PVGIS forecasts are readily available although I did once devote a rather long (and no doubt boring to most :D ) posting to an explanation of how one could extrapolate from monthly averages to a pretty good approximation of daily ones. I won't repeat in full it here but the basic principle was to get the first days figure by averaging last month's forecast with this month's, the last day's by averaging this month & next & the middle day's from an average of three months. Then you average 1st & 15th to get a result for the 8th 1st & 8th to get one for 4th or 5th etc etc etc. (I did say it was tedious !). There are a few dubious assumptions there in that I assume last day of one month and first day of next would have same forecast and that a forecast for the four and a halfth day would be equally applicable to 4th & 5th but heck, normal daily weather variations would easily account for even bigger errors.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Andy_WSM
    Options
    1.75 O's (6.87 kWh)

A good morning, followed by a poor afternoon.
  • jimmyboy420
    jimmyboy420 Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice - I've had more like 0.85 Os... :(
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback