PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cups coming out of d/w with bits on them!??

Options
Hi

My cups and glasses keep coming out of the dishwasher with bits on them it's gross, i have run a cleaning solution through it and cleaned the filter out but it's still happening any ideas ladies?

Carli x

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi carlih,

This older thread might help: OS Alternative to dishwasher cleaner

Pink
  • frugalfairy_3
    Options
    Have you tried cleaning the revolving arm things? I used to have that problem, a sort of gritty stuff stuck to everything until I discovered:o that the holes at the end of the arms were clogged with mainly grains of rice and other yuk. Took ages to tease them all out but it seems to help.

I rinse my dishes quickly under the tap now before putting them in the DW :o

HTH
    FF
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    when this happens in ours it's sometimes because the pipe on the 'floor' of the dishwasher has popped out of it's socket. This happens us so often that we automatically give it a push to make sure it's in place before we start a load. Worth checking in yours that all pipes etc are secure.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    This used to happen to us a lot - it tended to be when the dishwasher was overloaded or the arms weren't able to rotate properly.
    Also I found adding rinse agent seemed to help (I don't tend to use it cos its in the tablets already).
  • I had this problem recently also and when I filled up my rinse aid the problem was solved. Noticed when I did that that it was drying the dishes better too. HTH xx
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is happening to me too and I just called out an engineer to come and have a look (still covered by warranty so no cost!). Whilst on the phone trying to arrange the engineer the adviser (Mastercare) tried to sell me a product to keep both my dishwasher and my washer free from this type of thing at a cost of £29.99 for 40 months supply (use it once a month in both appliances). He said it was a sachet you used once a month and stopped clogging up of parts, etc, and made it run more efficiently. The adviser swore by it, but he would!

Don't like committing until I know more about it.

Has anyone used this and can comment on whether it is worth trying?

Thanks
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • poodlehorse
    poodlehorse Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm don't know about this wonderstuff but I have the same problem, I have tried declogging the arms which makes it better for a little while (it is always rice and pepperseeds isn't it?) and I have tried cleaning the filter and that helps too for a little while, Ihave tried cleaning the machine using the special Finish stuff which sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't, I have tried vinegar which is as successful if not moreso than the finish. I do wonder what this stuff you have been told about is made of and if vinegar or soda crystals in an empty machine on the hottest setting might not do the trick just as well. I only had this problem since I moved house and we now have our own private water supply and I wondered if it was a low pressure problem. Funnily enough I have just finished the first cycle since DH put in a pump and it has come out the best since we got here so that might be part of my problem. I am really fed up with it too. Totally gross. It used to be just now and again but recently it has been almost every load.

If you do go for this product or find a solution then let us know won't you!! Oh another last minute thought, you get little sachets of stuff to run through electric steam sterilisers for babies, they are lactic acid I think but they really do keep the machine working on top form, I wonder if it might be something like that
  • moanin'minnie
    Options
    a dishwasher engineer once told me to squeeze a lemon into the dishwasher ,then throw the lemon into the cutlery tray and run a hot cycle through ( with an empty machine of course ) should clean it out!
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Potato!

Spuds always do this to mine! Can't wash any spud covered stuff unless well-rinsed - masher, pans, plates etc. Give up & do the pans etc by hand these days, but just rinse plates & pop 'em in OK.

Always been like it, rinse aid or not!

A
    xx
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • ecsb
    ecsb Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    we are having the same trouble and it is really getting on my nerves having dirty dishes.
    Our rotating arm seems to get full of sweetcorn, even though we rinse under the tap.The arm is impossible to get off and i spend ages with a cocktail stick trying to get it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport