Pointless search for cheap gym membership.....?

Options
Whilst the on-going search for cheap gym membership may be of interest to many, I very much doubt it will save the majority a penny. Unless you sign up for a free deal, then exit without paying when it's over, you'll just end up another statisic.

People that end up paying for membership in a gym - any gym - fall into just three groups.

1) Those that pay, go 3-4 times a week, and use the equipment to it's full potential - about 1.5% of all members. (these people look fit)
2) Those that pay, go 1-2 times a week, have no plan, no goals, don't ever get to understand the equipment or how to use it, and after celebrate with a coffee and cake - around 5 -10% of members. (these people don't look fit, and can usually be seen reading a magazine whilst on a piece of aerobic equipment)
3) The rest, the vast majority, that pay, month after month, and never go.

If you really want to get fit, cheaply, I'd suggest the following method:

1) Go to your local running shop and buy the cheapest pair of running shoes that are suitable for your current fitness/weight/gait. Buy a cheap pair of running bottoms, and a cheap waterproof top. (you may find a cheaper/lighter/more visible top in a cycle shop, especially at this time of year. Cost of above - under £100.

2) Visit amazon and look for a book for running for beginners - just about any one will do - and buy a second hand copy - and then buy a book on general fitness and strength, that doesn't require weights. Again, loads to choose from - my personal favourite is "Josh Salzmann's Bodyfit". Cost of both, second hand, plus postage - under £10.

3) Read the running book. Decide on a program. Most people start by just taking 3 fastish walks, 3 times a week and build up. When you return from a run/walk/jog, do some sets of press-ups, sit-ups, dips etc as outlined in your other book.

4) If you have any kind of medical condition, or are very over weight, discuss the above with your doctor before starting.

5) Keep it going for 13 weeks. Weigh, measure and photograph yourself before and after. See the difference.

I have worked with people of any age, sex, ability etc, and have never seen anyone fail to dramatically improve their fitness following the above, simple, basic, program. And I know a shed load of people with gym memberships that have achieved absolutely zero, other than spending money.

Just a personal view.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport