'Does the Adam Smith Institute understand how student loans work? ' blog discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Here's one from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14785676

The BBC Student calculator tries to do this I think by analysing projected salaries of different professions.
    Good link, setmefree2.
    Seems that in most cases, according to the BBC, the full amount will be repaid.

What do you think of their assumptions, Martin? Have they missed something important?
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good link, setmefree2.
    Seems that in most cases, according to the BBC, the full amount will be repaid.

What do you think of their assumptions, Martin? Have they missed something important?
    Ouch. In most of the scenarios I've tried with the BBC calculator, the student will end up paying much more than they borrowed (in real terms) and get little or nothing written off.

I suspect this is because the BBC is using more realistic figures for salary growth for graduates than the MSE calculator. As I said before, if you adjust the MSE calculator to use salary growth of more than just 1% above the general population, you get huge upswings in the amount repayable.
    It's misleading to advise people not to pay their loans off if you are assuming they will never get decent wage rises and therefore will have the debt automagically wiped off in 30 years.

Plus, with the way the government is raiding pensions, increasing retirement ages and contribution rates, who's to say that 30-year write off period will actually stand? Would make an easy target for any future government wanting to make savings.
    poppy10
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Plus, with the way the government is raiding pensions, increasing retirement ages and contribution rates, who's to say that 30-year write off period will actually stand? Would make an easy target for any future government wanting to make savings.
    A good point.
    If I was looking to take out such a loan I would be carefully reading the small print (does such small print exist, yet?) as to if this could ever change, as well as the threshold over which you start paying (and how this is uplifted each year) and the percentage that yuo pay over that threshold.

And I agree with you about the BBC's salary predictions. Would still like to know Martin's thoughts on them?
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 10 March 2012 at 10:59AM
    Options
    This is what the 2012/2013 Student Loans Terms and Conditions guide actually says
    Making extra repayments
    You can pay off your loan more quickly by making extra repayments voluntarily. You can do this anytime at
    www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk.
    If you do choose to make voluntary repayments, you will pay your loan off more quickly. However, any voluntary repayments will not affect the amount collected through the tax system.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_200469.pdf

That is just plain wrong and misleading, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure