Travel Insurance departing from Dublin

Options
I wonder can anyone advise me...

As with many in NI, I travel frequently from Dublin. Now this is apparently a bad thing for many insurers because their cover is assuming that your main international transfer is a flight.... but for living in NI and travelling from Dublin, they consider you are travelling internationally on the trip to the airport.

So who is totally safe as an insurer and covers you fully should something go wrong with this (unusual in the UK) situation?

Many thanks
Always overestimating...

Comments

• dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    I also had this problem flying from Dublin and emailed a few insurance companys and most didnt cover me ,but went into abbey insurance brokers who got me the cover I needed so try them
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Given the numerous replies I am wondering whether most people even know that this is the case?!
    Always overestimating...
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Options
    Eek I thought cover began when you left your house!
  • x12yhp
    Options
    caz2703 wrote: »
    Eek I thought cover began when you left your house!

That was what I thought and have travelled that way before thinking I was safe and insured! Assuming this is a general problem and not just the few I have talked to... im sure a list of 'safe' insurers would be very useful to us all... if we could compile one!
    Always overestimating...
  • sheerdelight
    sheerdelight Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    This has been addressed before in the N. Ireland forum. You need to check when and where your insurance begins. Remember you start your journey in the UK albeit that the flight takes off from Dublin. Always check the small print on this one before buying travel insurance.
  • bigsy
    bigsy Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I have an Aviva annual travel policy. The policy wording is "Cover...starts when you leave your home at the start of your trip and continues for the duration of each trip."
  • x12yhp
    Options
    It isn't that you are not covered, it is HOW you are covered. For instance... you leave home and thus your trip has begun... if your flight is then cancelled, it is not a simple money back job because you have actually started the trip as opposed to the expected reality that the trip is outright cancelled... so it can get messy because there are all sorts of different allowances.
    Always overestimating...
  • Jersy
    Jersy Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to the states next week and when I was sorting my policy I went through moneysupermarket. The out come of this was that I thought that Debenhams was the best policy (cost vs what was on offer etc etc) but I was unsure about the status considering that I was effectively flying from a different country.

Long story short they said that I was covered from the airport.
    I do have an annual policy, but it is Europe only. reading through it, it states that I am only covered within my own country if I have prebooked 2 nights accomidation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure