Best place to buy pans and general kitchenware?

simmed
simmed Posts: 2,227 Forumite
edited 28 January 2013 at 12:33PM in Shop but don't drop
Just looking for maybe a normal saucepan, a frying pan, a casserole pan, chopping board and a good sharp knife..

Edit: whilst I am it, I may aswell ask in this thread - we don't know which cutlery/pans etc were already in the house when we moved in, and which are our own. Are we allowed to just take what we pans/cutlery we want - the landlord doesn't seem to care, none of it is hers anyway.

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    I would go via wilkinsons for what you need, get some great deals from there.

if your not 100% sure what you took in with you, unless it was Royal Crown derby I would leave the items, you never know when you come to move out your landlady may say you've taken the items, and its not worth losing your depoint ovr a few bits and bibs.

What I would suggest, if your going to be getting a few essentials of your own, can you make room for everything to go into 1 cupboard ; 1 draw / 1 unit, then your knwo what is yours. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Just thought-
    Poundland, Home Bargains, Pound stretcher, The range, B+M, eve car boot sales, table top sales xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Home & Bargain do some decent kitchenware, I got a couple of frying pans in there the other week for quite cheap don't remember the exact price but I'm sure it came to less than £6 for the 2. They also do lots of other pans, chopping boards, storage stuff, etc etc.
  • Ikea are quite good for kitchen essentials. I don't know how they compare to Home Bargains etc but just another place for you to consider.
  • ladypike
    ladypike Posts: 246 Forumite
    I'll second Ikea, great prices there. We've had a set of pans from there that are over 8 years old and still look and cook like they did when we first bought them x
  • Don't get non-stick pans, if you burn food in them then you will remove the coating cleaning them(which will come off in time anyway). Buy good quality stainless steel pans and they will last you a lifetime.
  • If you live anywhere near a Boundary Mills outlet then their kitchen section is excellent - they stock quality things and you can usually find some fantastic bargains. You may not be able to get everything on your list for knock down prices in one trip but if you're close and can pop in from time to time to check out what's on offer then it's well worth doing. It's always worth a look around the clearance section at TK Maxx as well.

Some things are fine to buy cheap from wilkos or poundland etc but for some things (particularly knives) cheap and good value are not the same thing!
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • Buy good quality aluminum saucepan,stainless steel pans , chopping board and a sharp knife. These things can you use for a long time.
  • KMK
    KMK Posts: 271 Forumite
    If you live near a large Asda, they have excellent kitchen departments and they are very cheap. Matalan too is quite good.

Good luck!
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Personally, I'd rather have good quality second hand pans than rubbish new ones so I'd take a look at car boots, charity shops or ask on freecycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure