lawyers letter

I need to get a statutory declaration from a lawyers to confirm I now go by my maiden name (not divorced yet) my lawywer wants £50 +VAT! Can anyone recommend a cheaper lawyer!! has anyone had this done

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    You used to be able to do this by going to a court and swearing before a clerk. (I don't mean calling him a ***** I mean an oath type thing) I am fairly certain you just paid a small fee for a document.

Don't know if it is still the case but worth a punt to save the money.
  • Ha ha ha love it, cheers, posted on relationships board too so have a few avenues to investigate
  • tweets
    tweets Posts: 35,946
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    When i divorced i just went back to my maiden name lawyer said it was ok to do so. Didn't have to pay anything. I have had no problems this was about 14 years ago.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you were born and registered in Scotland you can, for lawful purposes, call yourself anything you like. If however you want the process formalised and recorded, you can do it yourself with the General Registrar for Scotland for about £40.
  • Lou76
    Lou76 Posts: 428
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    You used to be able to do this by going to a court and swearing before a clerk. (I don't mean calling him a ***** I mean an oath type thing) I am fairly certain you just paid a small fee for a document.

Don't know if it is still the case but worth a punt to save the money.

Pity. :rotfl:
  • Got a deed poll £20 odd, got passport in the other day :-) thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family