Buying a house in Ayrshire

jm2926
jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
Wondered if anyone can recommend places to live in Ayrshire. We work in Glasgow/Kilmarnock and will be commuting by car. Places to avoid would be good too!

Comments

• Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Keep clear of the A737 area as there can be many delays summer or winter but there are 4 trains an hour & excellent express buses along this route. The M77 area is far better for road access to Glasgow & Kilmarnock.
    N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    South Ayrshire was apparently voted the most affordable place to live in the whole of the UK, no idea how they got that though!

Personally, I'd avoid East Ayrshire, it's the worst of the three, even though it would get you further along the M77 and possibly shorten the commute a bit.

If you are going by car, I'd probably stay out of North Ayrshire, because the main A737 road gets choked on a daily basis. So, to South Ayrshire, a lot of nice places to live here, but also a few dodgy areas like everywhere. Troon is largely nice, but expensive; Prestwick is quite a decent hub, with everything you could want in easy access; Ayr is the biggest town with some nice areas and some not-so-nice. There are also little villages like Symington along the way which are quite nice.

Really, I'd recommend that you visit the places yourself and get a feel for them, because what I like you might not. And try to narrow it down a bit, I've only really focussed on South Ayrshire because that would be my preference for your commute.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    How did you get on with this?

I'm originally from North Ayrshire and echo the comments above regarding the A737 traffic. Earlier this year I moved 10 miles up the road to Renfrewshire and still suffer the traffic as my parents watch my daughter two days a week. Other than those two days, where we stay now is better for us as both myself and my partner work in Renfrewshire.

There are some nice houses around Kilmarnock/Ayr - I'd try looking at those. Although you may still travel a bit, sitting at a steady pace on the M77 will yield some good MPG results in your car.
  • jm2926 wrote: »
    Wondered if anyone can recommend places to live in Ayrshire. We work in Glasgow/Kilmarnock and will be commuting by car. Places to avoid would be good too!

Depends what facilities you need ie school, shops etc but I love Kirkmicheal for a village, small school and community shop (about 40 min to Kilmarnock, and a hr drive to Glasgow M77), its very small and very sweet, cute stone houses and lovely countryside. Maybole its not too far for a few shops and a secondary school. Ayr is a 20 min drive for a bigger town and the sea, and has some lovely areas too.

My OH family live there so I am biased but it is cute!

Like others have said, maybe take a drive about and get a feel for different areas. Nice part of the world all the same
    Dont wait for your boat to come in 'Swim out and meet the bloody thing' ;)
  • We moved to South Ayrshire about 2yrs ago. We looked all over Ayrshire as I work in Glasgow. We actually put in an offer for a house in Kirkmichael but never got it. Kirkmichael is a lovely village & has a small primary school if you have small children. It also has a long country road(B7045) to drive into the village, might not be so good in winter.

We ended up buying a house in Symington & have not regretted it. We have great neighbours & the village is so quiet if you like that kind of thing. It has a primary school, a health centre(open part time hours), pharmacy, post office, hairdressers, coffee shop, grocers & 3 in 1 takeaway. Everything we need really.

My commute in the morning to Glasgow takes me 30mins(leave at 5am start at 6am) I like to be in early.
    I am on the A77 within a minute of leaving the house.

We do our big shopping at the Asda Kilmarnock(8mins) or Morrisons in Troon(7mins).
  • I stay in Saltcoats and travel up the A737 as I work in linwood, that is ok but once you hit the M8 the problems start so i would say the M77 is defo the best bet as stated above.

There is some nice developments too in Saltcoats right, as a new user i can't post links though :)

Like other places there is bits to avoid in Saltcoats too :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport