PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Just found out something by accident so thought I would share- Tumeric/Mustard Stains

Options
There has been countless, help Turmeric on something stains on here (which contains mustard) which makes everything yellow that it touches!

I was cleaning some car bits on the kitchen bench with paper under, and used this 151 product called Elbow Grease (All Purpose Degreaser) I picked up in the local Poundland (have seen it in other cheap/£1 stores) anyway some got on the bench where I had a nasty Turmeric stain, I moved the paper and it'd gone like a red/brown colour, wiped it and it came off. I'd tried all kinds on this stain inc bleach and stardrops, it didn't shift it. I have just used it with much success on the same stains on my painted cupboard doors.

Maybe not truly old style, same as other cleaning products, but definately money saving as it's saved me buying a new bench/paint :T Thought might help someone else so posted on here :) I of course can't say what effect would have on delicate fabrics etc and you use anything at own risk, but I also cleaned my cloth with it I normally use for when I have made curry and it's cleaned that too :)

Whatever it has in the mix of ingredients shifts Turmeric/Mustard, never thought I'd find anything that did that!
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
GC: £200
Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb

Comments

• Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a bottle of that under the sink but I haven't used it yet. The lady in the shop said she had got curry off her top with it, but I can't vouch for it myself. Sounds hopeful though!
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Cool. If anyone can't find 151 Elbow Grease I should think any other general purpose degreaser eg. WD40 would work too then. They are all the same stuff in the can (synthetic vegetable oil). It makes sense now I think of it actually because most spices are fat soluble not water soluble which is why yoghurt based things like raita and lassi have a cooling effect when you have been eating spicy food.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you - I thought it was a wind up for using lots of scrubbing but it's real:D

Shall get some when near a pound shop
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittiwoz I'd tried WD40 and didn't work (I use it on the cooker and it was next to cooker) but this isn't an oil, it's just called Elbow Grease as a brand name, isn't a grease. It does say it can be used on delicates/coloured fabrics on the bottle actually I just checked.

Just had a look on the website incase anyone wanted a pic of the bottle http://www.151.co.uk/brands.php?brandid=16 the one I have is the one on the left, lemon solvent free all purpose degreaser.

I was trying to reduce the amount I have in my cleaning cupboard but this ones definately staying, it's saved me a fortune today! :D
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Lil_me grease is not the same as oil. I'm pretty sure all those general purpose degreasers and lubricants are basically engine oil. If WD40 didn't work and the 151 stuff did I guess it must have to do with whathever additives are in there along with the oil.

Edit: Sorry. Just had a look at the pick and it is not the same 151 degreaser I thought you were talking about. Because you were talking about cleaning car parts I thought it was the type of spray degreaser and lubricant that comes in a can, like WD40. 151 do one too, it is not called Elbow Grease but I don't remember what it is called. That Elbow Grease stuff isn't an oil, it is a detergent. I think, though, that if you are cleaning car parts you should not use detergent because it promotes rust, you should use an oil.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it's called Maintainence Spray or something like that, but I do know what you mean. These weren't metal parts so no concern over rust, but as long as metal parts are lubricated again immediately, it's usually fine to clean them.
  • cekuk
    Options
    I called in to Poundland to get some 151 Elbow Grease but they had none, Instead I found they sold something called Bio Tex so thought I would try it. Pleased to say it worked very well. I wet the shirt and sprinkled a little Bio Tex powder onto it, I rubbed it to a paste and watched as the stain faded. popped the shirt in to the washing machine, not a trace of the stain. job done.
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2011 at 5:35PM
    Options
    biotex is great stuff.
    also if you can find it, Locktite 7063 is AMAZING. it's a spray on solvent/degreaser which also removes stains. found out completely by accident about the stain thing. hubby uses it for car parts, engineer-y stuff (don't ask me I'm just a girl tee hee hee) and I use it for degreasing kitchen tiles and cleaning windows. need to be a bit careful though as it etches some plastics. not yet found a plastic/polymer based fabric it melts though so that's a bonus. we've started buying it online, but this is how many cans hubby's work gets through in a week (the red cans I believe are Kontact, a circuit board cleaning fluid)

Image078.jpg

and here's a pic of a can for reference

44C8041.jpg
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That elbow grease spray is AWESOME. My mum got me a bottle ages ago, and it works *so* well!
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been using Elbow grease for years. It always used to be in Poundland then for the last 1 year it was never there but i got it in the 99p shop 3 weeks ago but have not seen it there since but i do buy it in bulk.
    I used to spray my hub caps on the car and all the brake dust comes of so easy. But in the house its amazing.
    I know every one says how good Stardrops is but Elbow grease is so much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure