Good Optician in Glasgow

So I've just posted a thread on the Health&Beauty board about how I'm well-overdue for an eye test.
The thing is I am really really short sighted (like -18:eek: - not sure if that alone would be classed as a "complex prescription?").

So I've been to different opticians the last few times and this time I'm really looking for someone who is experienced in dealing with my kind of prescription and who will give me a really thorough exam (and not rip me off in the process!). I know my presciption has got worse and I will need contacts and glasses.

Can anyone recommend a good opticians in Glasgow?

Comments

• Boots opticians are really good, used to dealing with complex prescriptions ( I am a -9 and I thought I had it bad!) There are 3 stores, 1 on Sauchiehall Street (beside M&S) 1 in Buchanan Galleries and 1 at Glasgow Fort. All of them are located in a Boots store but they are fantastic, really good eye exam and great service. Also they are running a buy one get one free offer, and find are you entitled to any help through the NHS? cos with your prescription that will take a good amount off the price as well.

PS anything over a -10 is a complex prescription so you are def within that bracket.
  • We've always found Hyndsight at Hyndland Road shops (opposite Clarence Drive) to be thorough and straightforward.
  • Lou76
    Lou76 Posts: 428
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2012 at 6:13AM
    If Bishopbriggs is good for you, I can't recommend Forbes Opticians (Mr Russell, the Optician and now owner) highly enough.

I first went there in 1995, when Mr Russell was an employee of Forbes.

I had gone that day to the two places in St Enoch's Centre (Vision Express & Specdeals, I think they were called at the time?) and had 2 totally different presciptions. :eek:

Only reason I went for a second opinion was I felt the first place was more interested in selling me stuff (was a poor student at the time lol) than the health of my eyes.

Anyway, long story short, went back to my friend's house that day & his Mum recommended her optician - Forbes. Bishopbriggs wasn't my local area, I lived in Uddingston, but had a car so no problem.

I just knew right away that he was right. :)

Fast forward a few years, my Mum started travelling through [from Uddingston] to see him, on my recommendation :o, and he diagnosed a slight cataract that even the hospital, where he referred her, struggled to find.

They said whoever your optician is, don't change him, he's worth his weight in Gold. :T

That's good enough for me. :rotfl:

p.s, he also noticed I had a cornial ulcer, even although I wasn't booked to see him that day, was in the waiting room waiting for my Mum, and he insisted on examining my eyes when he saw how red my eye was.

The hospital told me if left untreated, can lead to blindness :eek:, and again he was praised for his quick diagnosis. To think as well, I wasn't going to bother him about it. lol

There you go, my tales of woe & a recommendation to boot. :rotfl:
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 458
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Boots opticians are really good, used to dealing with complex prescriptions ( I am a -9 and I thought I had it bad!) There are 3 stores, 1 on Sauchiehall Street (beside M&S) 1 in Buchanan Galleries and 1 at Glasgow Fort. All of them are located in a Boots store but they are fantastic, really good eye exam and great service. Also they are running a buy one get one free offer, and find are you entitled to any help through the NHS? cos with your prescription that will take a good amount off the price as well.

PS anything over a -10 is a comple xprescription so you are def within that bracket.
    this is not true I am -27 and the only thing you will get from the NHS is a £15 complex lense voucher your glasses will be over £600 and you will not get 2 for 1
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • jaggyjim
    jaggyjim Posts: 78
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and recommendations.

Lou - Bishopbriggs is not exactly local for me but have a car so doable in about 20mins on a good day. The optician sounds excellent, dedicated to their work and cares about the eye health of his patients. Exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want a "conveyor belt" approach.

Cheers
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    I would recommend a visit to the Eye Clinic at Glasgow Caledonian University. Not only do they have wonderful optometrists (many of whom teach at the uni), they also have a very reasonable selection of frames and lenses. The main purpose is teaching, not selling so it definitely won't be a "conveyor belt" from consultation to cash desk ;)

Here's some info:

http://www.gcu.ac.uk/eyeclinic/
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills