Catering ideas for 70+ people!

Options
Hi there wise people!

I'm having a party soon and I will be catering for around 70 people. The food wont be served til around 9 ish so its going to be more of a buffet and light food rather than a main meal. Has anyone got any ideas of what to serve and also how to work out quantities I will need?

I was thinking of doing stuff like pizza, cold meats, quiches etc but am open to ( easy!) suggestions.

Dying to hear from you all

CDP

Comments

• morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We did a christening do for our son; I couldn't be doing with the faff of making sandwiches, etc., so this is what we did
    Cold turkey and beef, bought and sliced by the butcher, and he did us a very good deal indeed
    very large bowl of greek salad, all the ingredients chopped up beforehand and then just mixed at the last minute
    very large bowl of prawn salad
    lots of different chutneys and pickles
    lots of nice breads, baked and served warm
    cake / strawberries and ice cream for pudding

Everybody commented on what a lovely spread it was, but actually it was very simple indeed!

Good luck ... and enjoy!
    That's Numberwang!
  • Irisheyes648
    Options
    When I cater for large numbers I normally buy a big gammon/ham cook and serve cold, chicken drumsticks, other cold meats like salamis etc, homemade potato salad, homemade coleslaw, big bowl of pasta salad, big bowl of cous cous with oven roasted veggies and feta cheese mixed through it, salad, tomato and mozzarella salad, cheese board, fresh baguettes. I also do 2 puddings like a tiramisu and a big pavalova. Hope this helps
    :snow_laugChristmas is just around the corner :eek:

Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself:kisses3:
  • Irisheyes648
    Options
    When I cater for large numbers I normally buy a big gammon/ham cook and serve cold, chicken drumsticks, other cold meats like salamis etc, homemade potato salad, homemade coleslaw, big bowl of pasta salad, big bowl of cous cous with oven roasted veggies and feta cheese mixed through it, salad, tomato and mozzarella salad, cheese board, fresh baguettes. I also do 2 puddings like a tiramisu and a big pavalova. Hope this helps:T
    :snow_laugChristmas is just around the corner :eek:

Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself:kisses3:
  • cannycat
    Options
    Don't know if this would be an option, but I've seen it work well for groups of 20 and groups of 50+ at barbecues and an informal wedding reception (that last one was especially nice as everyone felt they'd contributed that way)! Everyone brings one dish with them (people who hate cooking bring crisps or bread or similar); that way everyone knows there's at least one thing they like (hopefully!!) and it can also lead to interesting conversations about "So who did bring the falafel/mini cream cakes/lime and chili crisps".
    Exiled-Geordie-in-the-west-country (not quite in the middle of nowhere, but I can definitely see it from here!)
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with Morganb. I've done things along similar lines and it goes down really well. Just think of easy things that will compliment lovely salads ie chesse and pickle board, pork pie and branston pickle etc.

Rebecca x
  • pookienoodle
    Options
    Hi,
    I also agree with morgnb keep it simple. cold meats and salads ( so many different salads you could do,pasta, rice,noodle) cheeses .homemade cookies and cup cakes or muffins always go down well and can be made in advance and frozen.
    will people be sitting down to eat if not make sure things can be easily eaten standing up.
    can you beg ,borrow or hire enough cutlery for your needs? always much better that plastic. and real plates or at least picnic wear ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure