tesco express store and metro store whats the difference?

Options
hiya could anyone tell me please what the differences are between a metro store and an express store? are the prices different. where we are we have a superstore but the place were considering moving too has only an express and a metro. thanks
Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
Feb 2015 GC /£260

Comments

• Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both will be different prices and will be more expensive than a superstore or Extra.

The range is usually different too.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    Its the same with Sainsburys and Sainsburys Local. Sometimes, you get better deals with the smaller stores. For example, about 6-8 weeks ago, I bought a large bag of Doritoes costing me £1. The bigger stores had the deal for 2 for £2.50.
  • StuartMacpherson
    Options
    they are all different parts of tesco.
    Tesco actually had 3 different companies tied into one for tax purposes.
    Tesco Express works under a convenience store principle, and are all under 2000sqf. On average the prices in there at 5% higher, although some deals are better. Stocks mostly "popular" products, such as mostly named brand, no value products.
    Metro is meant for city centres, and they tend to stock mostly named brand products, but with more of the tesco brand products than express. its basically a go between a express and a superstore... the prices are usually 3-5% higher also
  • charlie-chan
    Options
    Express is like a corner shop with a bakery whereas a Metro has a deli and hot deli counter :)
    Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    they are all different parts of tesco.
    Tesco actually had 3 different companies tied into one for tax purposes.
    Tesco Express works under a convenience store principle, and are all under 2000sqf. On average the prices in there at 5% higher, although some deals are better. Stocks mostly "popular" products, such as mostly named brand, no value products.
    Metro is meant for city centres, and they tend to stock mostly named brand products, but with more of the tesco brand products than express. its basically a go between a express and a superstore... the prices are usually 3-5% higher also

This is an excellent explanation.

OP, I only have an Express and Metro nearby. Express is fine for daily essentials (loaf of bread, pint of milk, etc) but are mostly branded goods so will be more expensive as stated above. Metro will really depend on the store. Mine recently renovated and I find I can't get as much there as I used to, so rarely shop there now. It used to be fine for most weekly shops.

Any online orders will be delivered from your closest superstore, mine are delivered from the Extra roughly 3 miles away, even though there are 7 (:eek:) smaller stores closer. I use this about once a month for bulky goods and any items I can't get in local stores (e.g. some value ranges that I love).
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its down to the size, the Metros are bigger store size eg for out of town shopping whereas express is for town shopping or in the community as a convenience store.
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    express is normally corner shop villages, garages , high street convieniance mostly brand names and more pricey.

metro-these differ in size approx size of an aldis or lidls some bit bigger again less value ranges and slightly more epxensive than superstore.

superstore yes these are big approx equaivilant to average sized sainsbury or morrisions store.
    we use to shop at superstore.

But there are no large tesco stores here anymore they got rid of superstores and expanded or most cases knocked down and rebuilt tesco extras which are too big and the metros too small and lacking range.

Bristol has

least 4tesco extras
    2tesco homes
    1superstore maybe
    wouldent like to say how many expresses a lot
    less than 10metros one in city centres horrid far too small but busy.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    express stores are convenience stores which are more expensive.
    metro is just a little Tesco, but bigger than an express.

don't know why people are saying prices in metro stores are more expensive as my local is the same price as a normal Tesco store
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco Express about two minutes in car away, is so expensive that I prefer to go another few minutes to the village and the corner shop - whose prices are reasonable and has a lot of special offers etc!
    The Tesco Express cashpoint is also a major annoyance - it will happily accept my OHs Debit card - but not mine! I am not the only one - a lot of people locally say that too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure