Violin Lessons/online violin course

Can anyone help? I want to know how much (roughly) would you expect a violin lesson to cost? Also, does anyone know any online Violin tutorials or teachers? Thanks for you help:beer:

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • taliesin
    taliesin Posts: 118 Forumite
    Regarding cost of lessons, the MU recommended rate for private instrumental tuition is approximately £25 per hour. Shorter lessons aren't usually charged exactly pro-rata, because the teacher has to schedule some dead time between appointments, so £15 for a 30-minute lesson or £20 for a 45-minute one would represent the going rate in most urban areas of the UK outside London.

In my time, I've learned to play a number of instruments to at least a moderate standard, including the violin. In terms of getting a reasonable sound out of it, I would say it was the hardest to learn. You can learn a lot from Internet videos and the like, but the very steep learning curve on the violin means that you really do need the help of a personal teacher to get the various technical issues sorted out. A personal teacher will also provide encouragement, motivation and discipline.

Good luck - don't forget to put up a video of your first recital for us!
  • Thankyou for your reply, lots of helpful info. Just call me Vanessa Mae :p I can play twinkle twinkle so far!!x:rotfl:
  • I don't know where you live, but I teach the violin and charge £20 per hour for beginners. I'm not a qualified teacher in that I did not do a PGCE as I was never interested in teaching as a profession, but I do it on the side of my day job! However, I am an accomplished violinist and played professionally for a number of years including in the West End! Feel free to contact me if you're interested - I am located in Warwickshire.
  • labp04
    labp04 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    :think: Hi, I live in East Lancashire and after a fair amount of chasing I managed to book my first lesson as an adult (63 years old) beginner for next week at a cost of £13 per half-hour. Still looking/wondering about which violin to buy and from where? Any views/thoughts will be very welcome.
  • taliesin
    taliesin Posts: 118 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2012 at 11:10PM
    Good on you! Others are surely better placed to advise on violins (although it may help to say I've yet to see a poor entry-level instrument of any type from Yamaha, and that Stagg also has a decent reputation as an entry-level supplier). Your teacher can advise.

In terms of where from, as ever, the best place is your local music store. Don't hesitate to ask them to match online prices, or at least to throw a few extras in. The ability to try out the actual instrument you will buy is important, and they will back the sale up long term.

For what it's worth, if you want to try a big shop, Reidy's in Blackburn is possibly the biggest dealer in those parts and does a lot of online trade. There was also a Sound Control branch in Preston that's now called the Music Cellar, although that chain were more electronic- rather than acoustic-oriented. Again, your teacher will be well placed to advise.
  • AdmiralX
    AdmiralX Posts: 330 Forumite
    Can anyone help? I want to know how much (roughly) would you expect a violin lesson to cost? Also, does anyone know any online Violin tutorials or teachers? Thanks for you help:beer:
    In stringed instruments you need one to one. I do not know the rest.
    "I'll be back."
  • helped a lot..
  • LibbyR26
    LibbyR26 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Lessons with a good teacher that you have a good rapport with is a must. I say that as an adult beginner of just over a year, started at 36 and really enjoying my lessons. £12.50 per half hour.

To Labp40 congratulations on taking the plunge.

Would be nice to hear how you both progress.

Good luck.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've recently bought a Ukulele and found a lot on Youtube. probably not as good as having a personal tutor but try the same for the violin.
    violin lessons for beginners - YouTube
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport