Why ARE people in so much debt?

12346»

Comments

• deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    tigsy1906 wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

I've looked through this site and this particular board often but not posted before. I've read this thread in its entirety and had to comment.

If you rang the Samaritans would you expect them to tell you to cheer up and pull yourself together because they feel great and have everything to live for?

W'ere not the samaritans ;)

Relax and the answers will flow..... be tense and you'l get nowhere.........
  • ceegee wrote:
    Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!

It's nice to find someone else who feels like I do. Sometimes I've thought that I must be a bit odd, feeling this way, but now I know that I'm not alone!

Thank you, Tiff! (and I'm only 49)

I absolutely agree with both of you. We seem to rush from one thing to another not heeding the concequences and when it comes to finances its all far too easy to get that little credit card to use just for 'emergency's' only and we'll pay the balance off at the end of the month. Problem is something always crops up to prevent paying off the full balance in one go and hence it builds up again and again...........untill we find ourself in a vicious circle of buying debt to pay debt. It's so easy done without realising what you're doing. :confused:
  • Sorry, I seem to have spoken out of turn and upset some people. My genuine worry is that if people feel stupid, belittled or slapped on the wrist for making what they themselves know are probably poor decisions in their lifestyle and financial dealings then they won't open up.

Well to those of you in severe financial straights who are evidently find this thread useful, I am very pleased for you.

I happen to agree with many of the comments made. What continues to worry me though is the small undercurrent of smugness and superiority that I feel is there...probably just my paranoia folks! My friend was intelligent - but not financially astute;she was also misguided, confused (and soap-opera-ish as it sounds, a cancer survivor who I think did want it all now because she didn't know when 'now' would end - until that is she decided for herself.) But not our problem, I know.

I know we are not THE Samaritans, but maybe if we all be tried that little bit harder to be A Samaritan..?

I shall now clumsily dismount from my high horse, stumble from my soap box and leave you each to enjoy what I hope will proove to be a long, happy and fulfilled life.
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nearlyrich wrote:
    happiness is not having what you like but liking what you have.

:T

I like that saying :rotfl:
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    tigsy, I think it probably is your paranoia! I couldn't see any smugness or superiority in any of the postings. As Austin, Norma and dougk said, this thread is for discussing WHY people get into debt and it is a valid discussion point. If help, support and advice is required, then it is freely available in squillions of other threads on the site.
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • Norma_Desmond
    Norma_Desmond Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    True ceegee - and I find that the smuggest (IS that a word?!) people are those that are always harping on about their designer clothes, their plasma televisions and their expensive cars!
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Tigsy1906

Your views and opinions are just as welcome as everyone else's, don't feel that you can't post whatever you like as long as it is within the site rules, if people don't like what you post they will tell you.

It is sometimes a fine line between trying to offer advice and coming over as "showing off" and as you correctly say, unfortunately some of the people who read these boards might be put off if they think they will be criticised for getting into debt. In my experience the majority of the community of MSE users are good people who genuinely want to help other people get out of the debt-trap.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Getting back on topic..........

One of the reasons why people are in so much debt, is that as identified its because of the instant gratification spending culture we have developed into.

Now binge spending is usually a substitute for something else... Perhaps the root of much debt lies in what happened in earlier childhood ? Which causes so much consumption in some peoples more than others ?
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    True ceegee - and I find that the smuggest (IS that a word?!) people are those that are always harping on about their designer clothes, their plasma televisions and their expensive cars!

You've met my brother then...

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    deemy2004 wrote:
    Getting back on topic..........

Perhaps the root of much debt lies in what happened in earlier childhood ? Which causes so much consumption in some peoples more than others ?

And you appear to have met my daughter...

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts