Do you use body lotion?

Hope someone replies. I constantly feel like i smell. Not stink just i notice other ladies have a really nice smell about them (not talking perfume as i use that) but that their bodies smell nice, is it because of using body lotion? is that why women use it? If so are you only meant to use it after a bath and thats meant to last until you next have a shower/bath? or are you meant to apply it morning and nights?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb, im just not a girly girl. dont really wear make up because it makes me look like a clown but i would like to slowly learn more. Like if i use body lotion will it make me smell nicer for longer. feel like as soon as i come out of the bath i still not clean as the clean smell doesnt last long.

Thanks.

Comments

• A decent body lotion will not only make you smell nice but also moisturise your skin. I showered this evening before going out to a family party and used my usual body butter as i hate flaky skin which tends to happen as you get a bit older (I'm 34!). I can still smell it now and I know my other half will comment on it probably in the morning, so yes it will last longer than normal shower gels.

BTW I use soap and glory products, expensive but worth their weight in gold IMO ;)
    LBM: 22.12.2010 :j Self-managed DMP start 29.1.2011
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No: 413
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your overall 'smell' probably comes from a range of products.

Starting from the soap/shower gel and shampoo you use, then deodorant, then body lotion (after each shower) then other possible creams (like moisturiser and hand cream) and also perfume. For 'best' you can often get them in a matching perfume but that's not essential.

Good Luck.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    what products do u use? maybe theyre not suitable to you? I feel boring using oilaum all the time so I switch it up with lush stuff. if u dont like make up, dont even try. no point in wasting time and energy trying to be someone your not. i use oilatum cream which has no scent whatsoever. only perfume gives me a 'smell'.
  • Jay83
    Jay83 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies so for guys :) i only use shower gel and thats only recently. It just doesnt last. Will try and experiment with body creams/lotions now. Lots on sale now anyway so good time to start :).
  • Jay83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so for guys :) i only use shower gel and thats only recently. It just doesnt last. Will try and experiment with body creams/lotions now. Lots on sale now anyway so good time to start :).

I found it was an age thing, when i reached 30 my skin changed and was always dry so decided to do something about it to keep my youthful appearance :D Only yesterday did i buy an olay daily facial moisturiser which stipulated "age 30+" :o
    LBM: 22.12.2010 :j Self-managed DMP start 29.1.2011
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No: 413
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    I'm 36 and have never used a body lotion. I do use the shower gel that goes with my perfume, and use hair products and deodorant that don't really smell of anything.

I've been told that I smell lovely (and I'm in no hurry to start using body lotions - once you start you can't stop, and life is far too short.)
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • I have lots of lovely, deliciously-scented body lotions. Though my skin is not-so-young, they still take a while to sink in. My house is COLD. I want to get dressed as fast as I can after a shower. They go past their best-before date. Sure, they're nice in the summertime; but in the north-west of England that isn't a long period.

I really wish I could use them. I just threw out a bunch whose fragrance had evaporated (not nice). What's a girl to do?
  • If you want a lingering scent use bar soap. I had to switch from shower gel to soap to clear up a skin problem. Dry skin cleared up so now I only need a touch of body butter on elbows and knees, and I could smell the soap all day - rather than shower gel scent which seems to evaporate very quickly. If you look at most lotions the first ingredient is water. Sometimes I felt like lotioning up was just like having another shower, and a cold one at that!
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I never used to use body creams, there just never seemed a point. Not that I didn't own any I just used to forget to apply it and my skin seemed fine.

Then I started to use a gym more often and shower with hotter water and used harsher body washes (due to sweating and wanting to feel I'd gotten all the sweat off- exfoliation was a favorite for a long while). I noticed my skin would itch because it was so dry at night and I'd have to put some sort of cream on in the middle of the night!

So I think washing more and using hotter water or if you live in a hard water area your skin tends to feel drier- that and age (when you get older your skin loses moisture as those above have stated). I think you do need to be careful what you use and how you use it though. I'd use a plain moisturiser if using a perfume or deoderant as I'm never sure if it will match right or not or be too overwhelming. I'd also be wary of applying any time when you've not just had a bath or shower- sweat smells because of the bacteria on our skin mixing with the fluids not because of the sweat itself. Now think about that in terms of body cream: if your skin isn't totally clean whats to say that bacteria couldn't be made to smell by the body cream your using?

When it comes to having the creams smell stronger though you could try layering with the same scents. Get a set of scents, many brands sell different products from the same range (The Bodyshop, Boots, Philosophy, Lush..etc) but be careful as it can feel a bit overwhelming if your new to it and the rule is if you can smell it on yourself after the initial 20 mins it means you've applied too much and are a bit over powering- not the best way to meet new 'friends'!

I also think that what you eat matters- or it does for me. If you eat a lot of junk it does tend to make you smell worse for some reason. I also know that if I drink a lot of coffee or eat a lot of meat I end up smelling just like what I have eaten- very odd and slightly worrying!
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Jay83 wrote: »
    Hope someone replies. I constantly feel like i smell. Not stink just i notice other ladies have a really nice smell about them (not talking perfume as i use that) but that their bodies smell nice, is it because of using body lotion? is that why women use it? If so are you only meant to use it after a bath and thats meant to last until you next have a shower/bath? or are you meant to apply it morning and nights?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb, im just not a girly girl. dont really wear make up because it makes me look like a clown but i would like to slowly learn more. Like if i use body lotion will it make me smell nicer for longer. feel like as soon as i come out of the bath i still not clean as the clean smell doesnt last long.

Thanks.
    I tend to use perfumed products more in the summer. Recently I've been using unperfumed soap (that I made!) and unscented toiletries. Body lotion's not really 'necessary' and to be honest I find if there's a room full of people each wearing quite strong scented stuff it can make you feel a bit queasy :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure