Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Nationwide reveals regional difference in house prices change

Options

Comments

• the_flying_pig
    Options
    someone's got to mention that Scotland is one of the 4.
    FACT.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    Prices are rising in the majority of the country, despite a year of claims to the contrary from the bears on here.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I do wish we would get to a floor (whatever that may be) ASAP. Need some measure of stability so investment decisions can be made. What would worry me is the current level of construction and the effects that may have on future supply. A lot of people at the bottom of the ladder are going to suffer, some time in the future, because of what we are either not building or fixing now!
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • shortchanged_2
    Options
    Just to set the record straight Hamish.

The Land Registry figures released on 28/11/2011 showed out of the 10 regions of England and Wales only 1 region, guess which one, has seen an annual rise in house prices. That being London which has seen a mighty rise of 0.3%.

Now I wonder whose data is more reliable, the Land Reg or the Nationwide?
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    Unemployment, tight control on mortgages and a nation that has many subjects worried about the future. What is this magic market called housing that bucks the trend?
  • geneer
    geneer Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    Options

The Land Registry figures released on 28/11/2011 showed out of the 10 regions of England and Wales only 1 region, guess which one, has seen an annual rise in house prices. That being London which has seen a mighty rise of 0.3%.

Halifax has a market share of 10 to 12%.
    Nationwides share is so small they don't want to tell us.
    Land reg captures almost everything.

So its nationwide, obviously.
  • manic_monkey
    Options
    Where I live I don't think house prices have ever fallen, they just haven't risen. Unlike say, petrol, price is largely driven by supply /demand. If the price isn't rising, people stay put - less available - prices start to rise.
    This is simplistic, and I don't actually like it. But that is capitalism. Since Thatcher sold off any chance of my children getting a house (unless of course my daughter has a child as a lone parent), this situation is bound to continue. I just don't see either the Tories, or the other Tory party Labour, using taxpayers money to fund a huge rise in social housing - it just ain't going to happen.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I suppose it depends if you are interested in July/Aug figures or current?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • DervProf
    DervProf Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    Options
    Prices are rising in the majority of the country, despite a year of claims to the contrary from the bears on here.

Not according to the LR figures I saw a few days ago.

I would have thunk that the LR figures are more to be trusted, but no doubt you'll convince me otherwise.
    30 Year Challenge : To be 30 years older. Equity : Don't know, don't care much. Savings : That's asking for ridicule.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    DervProf wrote: »
    Not according to the LR figures I saw a few days ago.

I would have thunk that the LR figures are more to be trusted, but no doubt you'll convince me otherwise.

Land registry lags.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family