Can someone help me work out my pension entitlment at the end please?

Options
I am only 19 but planning ahead. I am planning to join a company pension as it has been advised by the majority of my pension now that I am eligable.

I have done a calculator on 3% of my salary per month (£11,278 per annum, will go up in a year or so).

And it came back as I am only entitled to £126 pcm that would of been a waste of 48 years worth of paying would it not?

So based on 3% using the salary above as an example what lump sum and monthly income wouldI get.

My employer makes matched contributions

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done a calculator on 3% of my salary per month (£11,278 per annum, will go up in a year or so).

And it came back as I am only entitled to £126 pcm that would of been a waste of 48 years worth of paying would it not?

On what basis did you choose to calculate? i.e. todays terms or future money terms.
    What type of income did you choose to illustrate on (sole, joint, indexed, level etc)?
    Did you illustrate with or without tax free cash taken?
    What growth rates did you use?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BrettMorganxD
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    On what basis did you choose to calculate? i.e. todays terms or future money terms.
    What type of income did you choose to illustrate on (sole, joint, indexed, level etc)?
    Did you illustrate with or without tax free cash taken?
    What growth rates did you use?

Retirement age 58. Single pension, not for spouse or partner. Not taking the lump sum cash came out at £158, taking £123.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well if you pay in 3% of 11,278 that's about 338 per year or £28 per month
    if you continue to pay that in for 49 years and lets say expect to get your pension for 25 years then you would only expect to get about

£28pm x 49years/25years = £55 per month as a pension in todays money

now in practice there would be some growth in your fund over the years due to profit but basically if you pay in peanuts you will get out peanuts

maybe your employer will pay in money as well and of course you may well increase your salary over time but you need to think round minimum of 10% to get a decent pension
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retirement age 58.

That is 10 years earlier than your current state pension age. Your contribution is not big enough to cover that gap and is therefore unrealistic.

Was the pension increasing annually or level basis (staying the same each year)?
    Did your contributions increase each year or did you assume the amount stays the same for the whole 48 years?
    Is the pension figure in todays terms (i.e. spending power today) or future terms (£123 will buy you a mars bar in 48 years time)? I guess todays terms which would account partly for the lower figure.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retirement age 58. Single pension, not for spouse or partner. Not taking the lump sum cash came out at £158, taking £123.

Retiring at 58 is *not* easy and requires pretty big sacrifices, which your current salary really doesn't let you make. However, you need to ensure you get that 3% from your employer so don't be tempted to back out.

Worst case, your salary doesn't pick up, you have to work until state retirement age, but this pension gives you a roughly 50% boost over the basic state pension. Not bad for less than £30 a month gross right now.

Maybe your payroll people will tell you how much less there will be in your pay packet if you go for this? I'd guess it'll be less than a fiver a week.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Retiring at 58 is *not* easy and requires pretty big sacrifices, which your current salary really doesn't let you make. However, you need to ensure you get that 3% from your employer so don't be tempted to back out.

Worst case, your salary doesn't pick up, you have to work until state retirement age, but this pension gives you a roughly 50% boost over the basic state pension. Not bad for less than £30 a month gross right now.

Maybe your payroll people will tell you how much less there will be in your pay packet if you go for this? I'd guess it'll be less than a fiver a week.

So, you are 19. Are you married? do you plan on having kids? When?

When I was your age I assumed I would be single and not have any kids (Ok feminism but was the tail end fo the 70s lol).

What happened that seriously affected our planning was getting maried (didn'tsee that comong) having children (3 frm age 30 incl twins- really really never say that coming) which meant anything we planned at 19 was in effect toilet paper.

So, you need to think what might chage betwwen 19 and 50 (when you will still be working but know when you will will need/want to retire).

Lots here advocate retiring at 55. WE won't be (well hubby no, me maybe) as we had kids late so need to fund university x3- (a cool 100K-150K or more for 3). Of course you can retire earlier or you cut your kids off at 18 and let them borrrow 15k+ a year but if I felt like that I wouldn't have had any at all? No point IMHO.

So you need to save for first 6 months safety in cash(from reducndancy or any other devastating things). Then/as well as a pension of some sort. Then saving outside both emergency cash/pensions. Into cash, proeprty/equity. whatever.

Saving in general, then diversification thereof is always KEY.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2011 at 10:20AM
    Options
    It would not.
    So roughly 29 years of paying in £28 a month then getting £158 a month for roughly 30 years based on current life expectancies for males. Getting out 5.6 times what you spend. That's a good deal, not a bad one.

Adding £140 a week for state pensions at state retirement age would have you on £764 a month, about £9,176 a year before tax.

That's close to your working income but for only a small fraction of the money you're making spent to get it.

£764 is a bit low to live on for life, though I could do that with an owned property and no rent to pay. You'd probably end up needing to pay in more into say S&S ISA investments or additional pension contributions so that you could top up your income between retirement and when the state pensions start. You can worry more about this when you've done things like bought a home.

If your employer will match more than 3% going for that higher match is also likely to be a good deal.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    £158 per month is only about £35 per week - so jamesd has got his figures wrong.

However, whilst some may say it isn't much, it is actually a very useful amount on top of a state pension and not a bad return. It would make all the difference in older age between just surviving on a state pension, and living economically but well.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't see a mistake....

£140 pw state pension is £7280 pa, plus £158pm from company pension (£1896pa) is £9176pa.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I don't see a mistake....

£140 pw state pension is £7280 pa, plus £158pm from company pension (£1896pa) is £9176pa.

Jamesd corrected his post after oldvicar pointed out the mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure