lost my tax refund cheque

Options
hello
I recieved the tax calculation mail, but not the refund cheque. so i phoned Hm revenue and am informed they said it was already sent out 2 months ago. I live in sharing house, so I am guessing someone else in house collected my mail. in that case, could that person cash my refund cheque out ?
would that cheque only be payable to me or anyone ?
Thanks for your answer in advance. I am now starting worrying as it is not just few quids.
ps, how long would it take to receive my new cheque if they can send the new one out to me ?

Comments

• Chocolatedrinker
    Options
    The cheque would be payable to you. Ring the Revenue and tell them you have not received the cheque and ask them to issue a new one. They will tell you if it has been cashed when you ask for a replacement. They can wait up to 6 weeks before they re-issue the cheque.
    Declutter 2024 in 2024 /2024 SPC = 13 £45.32 (2023) £64.89 (2022) £95.67 (2021) £305.16 (2020)Loan paid off! Credit card paid off!!! Debt paid off, debt free date 28/12/2020
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    lilyn123 wrote: »
    hello
    I recieved the tax calculation mail, but not the refund cheque. so i phoned Hm revenue and am informed they said it was already sent out 2 months ago. I live in sharing house, so I am guessing someone else in house collected my mail. in that case, could that person cash my refund cheque out ?

Only if they have the same name as you.

If you call HMR&C they can check if the original cheque was cashed and issue you with another one.
    lilyn123 wrote: »
    ps, how long would it take to receive my new cheque if they can send the new one out to me ?

At lteast 6 weeks.
  • mrschuck
    mrschuck Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    yeah i got the letter yesterday then got my cheque this morning, did say 6 weeks and crossed so had to put in my bank account xid ring xxgood luck
    ghds.make up,necklace.Garnier UltraLift 2in1 serum and cream
    ...bring them on...:pgarden win:D
    £100 M&S vouchers
    RihaNNA TICKETS

good luck..thankyou to all posters on MsE:D:beer:
  • CrazyRatLady_2
    Options
    My boyfriend got 2 letters for 2 different years saying they owe him a tax rebate, he had the first cheque at least 2 weeks ago now (about 3 days after the letters) but no sight of the other one :S
    £2012 in 2012 member #15: £651.55/£2012
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    My boyfriend got 2 letters for 2 different years saying they owe him a tax rebate, he had the first cheque at least 2 weeks ago now (about 3 days after the letters) but no sight of the other one :S

HMR&C usually only send one refund cheque.

If you receive a P800T the total refund due is usually the figure on the most recent one. This is because each year's is rolled into the next on the statements.

You might get 2 of these P800Ts but the only one that says how much they owe you is the most recent because each one is basically a statement of how much they owed you at the end of that tax year.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    but no sight of the other one :S

There is no other one. As the previous post - the final year P800 has the net overpaid sum on it. As clarified on the P800 Notes which were enclosed (Note 16) :

If the repayment covers more than one tax year, we will [FONT=Sabon,Sabon][FONT=Sabon,Sabon]send you [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Sabon,Sabon][FONT=Sabon,Sabon]one [/FONT][/FONT]cheque which will cover all the years we have reviewed
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • lilyn123
    Options
    Hi all, thank you all very much for answers. I will write letter to HMrevenue and ask them to issue me new cheque. loads off my chest sice the cheque is only payable to me!!
    Regards
    lil
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best to 'phone them in this instance. They may need to confirm some details with you that your letter won't cover.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure