Credit reports

Hi

Looking for some help and advice first time posting a question, i subscribe to equifax and experian and check my credit file on a regular basis. Is the information that i view want lenders will view if i apply for credit for anything?

Emma

Comments

• Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    It is what lenders can see about your credit history, as long as you've told us all of your addresses, although the data is anonymised for them (ie they don't see the names of your other lenders). A lender could also see the credit reports of anyone you're financially connected to, plus their credit assessment is likely to factor in information from your application form (salary, job etc) and information they have about you already (ie if you've dealt with them in the past).

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,679
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check the information carefully. There can be errors and in my experience those can be very difficult to correct.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • This may take a while please bear with me, i pay the monthly subscription to both equifax and experian after checking my report i noticed that the royal bank of scotland has recorded wrong information on my file well one of them. On my equifax one the information is correct, i am paying back my overdraft monthly my equifax one shows the payments from aug when i started and the balance coming down that is fine. On my experian one it is saying i am three payments late that was at the start of dec i have just checked it today and it is now saying i'm four even though a payment has left my account today. I have had an ongoing complaint with the bank regarding this they have the worst customer services i have ever dealt, after speaking to them today the advisor read a letter which has just been sent tomyself saying they dont believe they are in the wrong and basically they wont be amending my credit file. I really dont know what else to do one credit file is correct and one is wrong the biggest laugh about all this is on experian one where i am suppose to be 4 payments late the balance has come down as there have been five payments made. If anyone can help or advise i would be very grateful.

Emma
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,679
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You need to make a written complaint to RBS with details from your bank statements to support your case. If they do not agree your next step is FOS.

IMHO, you would be better putting the cost of those subscriptions toward reducing your overdraft.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • GSMAnon
    GSMAnon Posts: 92 Forumite
    Emma_m wrote: »
    This may take a while please bear with me, i pay the monthly subscription to both equifax and experian after checking my report i noticed that the royal bank of scotland has recorded wrong information on my file well one of them. On my equifax one the information is correct, i am paying back my overdraft monthly my equifax one shows the payments from aug when i started and the balance coming down that is fine. On my experian one it is saying i am three payments late that was at the start of dec i have just checked it today and it is now saying i'm four even though a payment has left my account today. I have had an ongoing complaint with the bank regarding this they have the worst customer services i have ever dealt, after speaking to them today the advisor read a letter which has just been sent tomyself saying they dont believe they are in the wrong and basically they wont be amending my credit file. I really dont know what else to do one credit file is correct and one is wrong the biggest laugh about all this is on experian one where i am suppose to be 4 payments late the balance has come down as there have been five payments made. If anyone can help or advise i would be very grateful.

Emma

You definitely need to remain in contact with the bank about this until it is sorted. Send them copies of your equifax and experian reports to show them the difference between them and to show them that the balance has been reducing, and send them copies of your bank statements to show the payments being made on time.

Additionally, I would recommend you cancel your subscriptions to Equifax and Credit Expert. That's costing you £22 a month which could be going towards your overdraft repayments.

By statute, you can get your credit reports for £2 from each credit reference agency, and it contains the same information as the one you're getting by subscription. It's slightly less convenient as you can't see it change day-by-day (but then, they barely change on a day-by-day basis), and it takes longer to come through, but I'd rather pay £4 than £22 for the exact same information.

If you really want a subscription, then you can sign up for checkmyfile.com which gives you access to all 3 of the main credit reference agencies in the UK (Equifax, Experian and Callcredit) for £8.99 per month... a lot cheaper than what you're paying just now for just two agencies.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    GSMAnon - checkmyfile does not include Experian credit history data. Read the small print.

Emma m - have you asked us to query the RBS data with them for you? Just ping an email to us through the website and we'll raise a dispute. We'll also mark the account as 'unreliable' while we investigate.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Thank u all for the replies i have contacted the bank again and it has now been moved to a second stage investigation whatever that means
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Emma_m wrote: »
    it has now been moved to a second stage investigation whatever that means

The letter sent to you earlier (read out by the adviser) should have contained a copy of the RBS complaints procedure and information about the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I recommend you study the leaflet carefully so that you are aware where your complaint is in the process.
  • DonnaLL
    DonnaLL Posts: 16 Forumite
    I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, butI have just subscribed to the " Free 30 day trial" on checkmyfile however, I have noticed that they have charged me ???

Can they recitify this ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport