Amazon's response it it right??

Options
I will try and keep it brief!

I purchased a Dyson vaccuum cleaner in May 2010 which developed a fault and the head cleaner broke. I contacted Amazon who told me to contact Dyson which I did (despite believing Amazon should have been responsible) and after a few days and engineer called and had to order a new part which would take 2-3 days max. 12 days later and still no part and calls made to Dyson I contacted Amazon and told them it was up to them to sort it out and not Dyson. They kindly sent me a replacement hoover on 15 Dec 2010.

This new hoover has developed the very same fault! In fact it broke about 6 weeks ago but I have been in hospital so unable to sort this out. My husband and I are retired and live in a bungalow, I say this to highlight the fact that the he hoover is not heavily used.

I have contacted Amazon and been told that the their guarantee for the hoover ran out in May? this is the purchase date of the original hoover and not the replacement. Surely this replacement hoover should be guaranteed for 1 year with Amazon from date of my receiving it and not form the date of the original faulty hoover.

I know Dyson guarantee it for 5 years but I am reluctant to go through the same scenario as last time if it is still covered by Amazons 1 year guarantee.

Can anyone advise please?
I USED TO BE INDECISIVE BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE!

Rich people tell you that money doesn't bring you happiness just so the poor people don't feel jealous.

Comments

• tomjonesrules
    Options
    Go straight to Dyson. Your first experience with them is rare, they are normally very efficient. Strictly speaking your contract is with the retailer, but it makes far more sense to go straight to the manufacturer in situations like this.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    In this situation it is probably best for you to invoke the 5 year Dyson warranty. Any remedy via Amazon can take into account your usage of the item.
  • PurplePow
    PurplePow Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This year I had problems with a TV I had bought from Amazon a year ago. Their first response was it was outside of the 12 month warranty - nothing they can do. However I read Martin's excellent article regarding the Sales of Goods Act, and responded to Amazon quoting this. My email was passed to a higher team - who sent out a replacement TV for me and to return my old and broken down one. It was done very efficiently - but I had to quote the act for action to be taken.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    did you register the Dyson when you bought it as they usually have a 5 yr warranty
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The guarantee runs from the date of the original purchase not the date you received the new Dyson.
  • Bykerlass
    Bykerlass Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your useful comments. Yes i did register it with Dyson so I guess that will be my next email.
    I USED TO BE INDECISIVE BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE!

Rich people tell you that money doesn't bring you happiness just so the poor people don't feel jealous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure