Employer's access to medical records?!?

Options
Hello everyone - i am off work at the moment - due to a medical condition - which has been looked at by doctors - who have provided doctors notes - with the condition stated on the medical forms.

My company would like me to see a doctor - with my consent - for the company to view my medical history.

I dont want them to have access to past medical records.

Am i able to consent to the company - seeing only the information - and records regarding the condition - which i am off work for?!?

Im happy for the company - to have information - and medical records - for my condition at the moment - but no other condition or information from the past - i view that as private and confidential - and wouldnt want anyone to access that - not just my employer.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes you are perfectly entitled to only give consent for the medical records in respect of your current illness.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask the OH dr. to copy you in on his report prior to it being sent to the employer. If there is anything you don't agree with or don't wish disclosed to the employer raise this with the dr.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • SiaSia
    SiaSia Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you are perfectly entitled to only give consent for the medical records in respect of your current illness.

Thanks - thanks for your reply - is that for definite?!?

I cant see how previous history - is actually of interest anyway - especially when it is my first time absent from work - with the company i am with at the moment.
  • SiaSia
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Ask the OH dr. to copy you in on his report prior to it being sent to the employer. If there is anything you don't agree with or don't wish disclosed to the employer raise this with the dr.

Thanks for your reply - if i ask to see the report - is it possible i can then not consent - for the doctor to send the report - if i dont agree - or i am not happy with the report?!?

Or if i ask to see it - but i dont agree with it - or i am not happy with it - does it still get submitted anyway?!?

Thanks!?!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    SiaSia wrote: »
    Thanks - thanks for your reply - is that for definite?!?

I cant see how previous history - is actually of interest anyway - especially when it is my first time absent from work - with the company i am with at the moment.

Yes that is definite. No one can access your medical records without your consent (other than a medical neccessity) and you can say which records they can see.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • SiaSia
    Options
    Yes that is definite. No one can access your medical records without your consent (other than a medical neccessity) and you can say which records they can see.

Thank you again for your reply!?! Very helpful!?!
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello you just need to tell your GP that you wish to view any reports that leave the surgery to your employers prior to posting. You just have to tell your GP what you do and don't want including, if you can see the GP and make these wishes know to them then this will save time and money just say that you only want your employer to see informations that is relevant to your current illness.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »

Rules changed earlier this year by the General Medical Council and you now have the right to see the report PRIOR to the employer. Therefore if you decide there is too much detail about irrelevant items then you can make sure the employer doesn't get to see it until those comments have been removed.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    One of my previous companies wanted to see my health records.. they wrote to the Dr and I went to see him. He wrote a letter for me to see detailing the past (which they didn't know about) and I told him quite clearly.. they don't know about my past and I'll loose my job. The letter changed and was ready for the next day.

All he did was confirm my current problems not my previous ones and that was it. I still had to see the OH people but thats a walk in the park.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caeler wrote: »
    Rules changed earlier this year by the General Medical Council and you now have the right to see the report PRIOR to the employer. Therefore if you decide there is too much detail about irrelevant items then you can make sure the employer doesn't get to see it until those comments have been removed.

Haven't you simply repeated the same information I provided?
    HOWMUCH wrote: »
    Hello you just need to tell your GP that you wish to view any reports that leave the surgery to your employers prior to posting. You just have to tell your GP what you do and don't want including, if you can see the GP and make these wishes know to them then this will save time and money just say that you only want your employer to see informations that is relevant to your current illness.

This has nothing to do with a GP, its an OH referral.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport