Covering these noticeboards, help needed!

Options
:mad: I am so close to launching these bl**dy things out of the window lol

I need some help on how to cut the fabric for a wooden heart noticeboard please. The V of the heart is deep and I messed one piece of fabric up last night by cutting it down about 1cm from the end of the V and of course I couldn't fold it over without the padding still showing. I left 2 inch all the way around the rest of the heart.

I have my other piece of fabric ready (in a big square) with the wadding cut to the size of the wooden heart. I have the flat to myself which was a bonus with getting mad at it lol.

Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking of doing the whole 2 " around again and leaving a big strip up from the V but I can't see that working.

Thank you in advance :o

Comments

• moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't offer much help as I have never made anything like this but, it would make sense to practice on a small one first with scraps of fabric till you get the "v" right.

Also, I wonder if cutting the fabric on the "cross" might help so you have some stretch where you need it and cutting 2 nicks into the v instead of one.

This is all just "maybe's" so don't know if it will help!
  • spicyprawn
    Options
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6431226091_b9dc147732.jpg

Here is a picture of it, if it helps.

Thank you for your reply moonpenny :)
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    One solution would be to cover the front first and then add a sort of padded frame all the way round by stapling a strip (this would need to be gathered or cut on the bias and could even be in contrasting fabric) on the reverse an inch or two from the edge the whole way round then turned over to the back over extra wadding and stapled on.

Hope that makes sense. I wish I could explain it as well as I can picture it. :o

Sorry, I'm in work so can't access your photo.
  • spicyprawn
    Options
    I kind of know what you mean. I do have trouble picturing it though. Have trawled google, but no luck so far :)
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    Okay - maybe this will help. Look at this pic of an upholstered headboard. See how there is a centre panel with a padded frame?

Obviously your notice board isn't going to be this padded but the design is similar.

The centre part goes on first covering your heart then you measure the whole way round the heart and cut a strip a little longer than that on the bias or long enough to gather it to that length. This strip should be the width you want the frame part to be x 2 plus an extra inch to allow for stapling.

You draw a chalk line the width you want the frame to be directly onto the fabric giving you a heart inside your heart. Then you place the fabric strip for the frame face down onto this line and staple along the line starting at the point so that when you turn the fabric over onto the back of the heart the staples are hidden. You will have to ease the fabric at the curves and the v of the heart.

You pad the edge with another strip of wadding, then you turn the fabric back over this and neatly staple into place on the back. Careful folding will give you a neat finish on the point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure